XP sp2 upgrade - bios issues w/ms-6330 2.1

Thread: XP sp2 upgrade - bios issues w/ms-6330 2.1

Angry XP sp2 upgrade - bios issues w/ms-6330 2.1

First - I have read through the other posts and seem to see some information related/same as my issue...however, I am a GIRL when it comes to these things and know just enough to be dangerous... that being said.. here is my issue..

I have the same gateway1100 as mentioned in other threads... I have upgraded the RAM to 640MB and the harddrive was replaced with an 80gig several years ago. I purchased the XP home sp2 upgrade yesterday and the initial install was sucessful - everything was working and I was very pleased with myself... then...

The auto updates from microsoft downloaded and installed - and upon reboot, I got a stop message: 0x0000007E... I am able to boot in safe mode only now...

I went to Microsoft and found the info that made it seem that its a BIOS issue. Off to Gateway to get the update download and in reading the README.txt, have tried to follow the instructions... this is my sticking point.

The files in the readme.txt are located as per the instructions... I suppose I need this explained like I am a three year old...

My lovely husband (who still asks if he "left clicks or right clicks" on links) is insisting that I unplug it and take it to a tech place... however... I am an intelligent individual who is now on a mission...

Any insights or explanations would be most appreciated...

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by NooNoo; March 7th, 2007 at 04:32 AM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Hi welcome to Windrivers. While your issue is worked on, may I suggest you remove your email address, or disguise it in such a way as not to be read by bots. They search forums for email addresses to harvest.
    Sergeant WOTPP

So you want to know about how to update the bios Christie?

Can you link me to the txt file or the download from gateway? There used to be only one way to update the bios, now there are a couple more, I want to check which they want you to use and then explain it for you - girl to girl
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

myeah..post up the txt file as requested, we should be able to help you
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Hello, Christie. As long as your posting more, could you include a link to the MS knowledge base article to which you referred? This particular error shows up in something like a gazillion different contexts, and may not necessarily be BIOS related.

I suspect this is the site you reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182&sd=RMVP

It very well could be a driver issue with unsigned or unrecognized software. A smaller possibility that it is hardware.

To check software drivers, try this if you still havent fixed it;

Start windows holding F8. Then select Enable Boot Logging. Start Safe Mode operation and check the file "C:\Windows\Ntbtlog.txt" in notepad and see what the last lines say (assuming it is a driver loading issue).

Let us know.

What is your bios version?

Upon computer boot up, hit F1 to get into setup. Read off the bios version. If it is not gateway's OAAVWP13, then you need to install that flash. Download it from their site. Search for the file using your computer's serial number found on the back of the machine. Pay very close attention to how-tos and readmes. You have to make a windows 98 startup (boot) disk and boot computer from that.
    Hope this helps, but maybe you've already solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by christie0918
    First - I have read through the other posts and seem to see some information related/same as my issue...however, I am a GIRL when it comes to these things and know just enough to be dangerous... that being said.. here is my issue..

I have the same gateway1100 as mentioned in other threads... I have upgraded the RAM to 640MB and the harddrive was replaced with an 80gig several years ago. I purchased the XP home sp2 upgrade yesterday and the initial install was sucessful - everything was working and I was very pleased with myself... then...

The auto updates from microsoft downloaded and installed - and upon reboot, I got a stop message: 0x0000007E... I am able to boot in safe mode only now...

I went to Microsoft and found the info that made it seem that its a BIOS issue. Off to Gateway to get the update download and in reading the README.txt, have tried to follow the instructions... this is my sticking point.

The files in the readme.txt are located as per the instructions... I suppose I need this explained like I am a three year old...

My lovely husband (who still asks if he "left clicks or right clicks" on links) is insisting that I unplug it and take it to a tech place... however... I am an intelligent individual who is now on a mission...

Any insights or explanations would be most appreciated...

Thanks!!!