XP cannot initialize my DVD drivers

Thread: XP cannot initialize my DVD drivers

Angry XP cannot initialize my DVD drivers

Greetings and salutations! I have a nasty little problem with my DVD drives. XP will no longer recognize either the DVD ROM nor the DVD R/RW.

I get the following error message: Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37).

The drives in question are:
    Philips DROM6216
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D

I am running XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a Gateway GT5028.

I have tried the recommended fixes from the MS KB, i.e. Uninstall the drivers and run the hardware wizard, Uninstall the drivers and try to update the drivers, etc. And, still I get the exclamation mark next to the drives in the Hardware Manager and a "problem installing device" message.

There are no newer drivers for these Drives.

If I force the machine to boot from disk, it will recognize and read the drives, but as soon as Windows kicks in, poof, they are gone.

Help! This is driving me nuts!
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

System Restore: failing that,

SFC Scannow:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

If that fails, Repair Install:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138

edit: I read that this can happen if burning software was removed BUT some components remain in the system registry - if you removed something lately let us know.

Last edited by CCT; March 11th, 2007 at 07:50 AM.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Did you download and run 'Download Guided Help' ?

123kb download that does an autofix.

--->HERE
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Top o' the mornin' to you fine folks and thanks for the advice. I shall proceed with the scanning and most likely a restore. Let me explain:

I decided to follow my own advice to my kids and dig further, searching this forum for similar problem, etc. Came across several related topics and a new solution: editing my registry, which I did. It seemed to be working, except it then threw me into a new circle of hell, which I believe is caused by a virus. It seems to be hijacking my local explorer, blocking me from exploring My Computer, going to Network Places, etc.

So, guys and gals, I shall run the Scans and try to repair, then maybe a reinstall. I shall keep you posted.

Many thanks CCT and street1 for your help!
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Last edited by NooNoo; March 11th, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, yes it was. And, I apologize for having cluttered up the forum with yet another versio of it. However, it lead me into a malfunction from hell which seems to have started with downloading IE7. Short version: nuked XP from orbit and have been reinstalling from scratch.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    El Squid strikes again.

Me name-um ugly daughter wall-um flower make-um white man
    chortle.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

El, you just have to look on the bright side; after a clean install, your system will run so well it will seem like a new machine. Amazing, isn't it, how much of your current software is not worth re-installing?

Well, what I suggested was things in general (just to be safe ya know) and I asked in a roundabout way about a possible 'filters' issue at the end and then street1 suggested specifically the upper/lower filters fix so, Noo Noo, just vacation a bit and stop the anxiety attacks willya - we actually CAN function, albeit badly, without you for 10 days.

Absolutely, sl, my box is humming right along. I also acquired a good registry cleaner from MajorGeeks.

Again, many thanks CCT for your help. As it turns out the problems ran much deeper than I suspected.

NooNoo, I promise to be more diligent in my searches, before posting a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Squid
    Absolutely, sl, my box is humming right along. I also acquired a good registry cleaner from MajorGeeks.

Again, many thanks CCT for your help. As it turns out the problems ran much deeper than I suspected.

NooNoo, I promise to be more diligent in my searches, before posting a problem.

I really really hate to disappoint you, but I wasn't having a go at you for not searching. Hell I have put up that same kb 5 times in a week because it can occur in so many differing situations.

You had been advised to format/reinstall/repair whatever. I was saying it wasn't necessary because it was a filters problem... now the other problems you had changed the ball game slightly, but I know a fair few people who get really peeved if they are told to format and then find out that it wasn't necessary.

CCT I am not so sure of that.... putting up links to preparationh leads me to believe that while you have good knowledge in some areas, you are let down in others, notably in providing relevant links. You don't have to answer posts in which you have no experience.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."