Bios Does Not Detect Current Hdd But Detects Others

Thread: Bios Does Not Detect Current Hdd But Detects Others

Bios Does Not Detect Current Hdd But Detects Others

Ok, im completely stumped so please help me out.

recently bought a new 120 gig maxtor HDD, tried to install it. realized due to position of hdd and ide cables i'd need to unmount current hdd and mount it on top bracket. after mounting, bios didnt recognize either harddrive.

my machine is a HP 753c.
    so far i've done the following:
    -checked and triple checked jumper settings.
    -unplug all IDE cables except one connected to both hdd's.
    -took old p500 with windows 98, installed my new hdd's and bios recognized them.
    -took the old 1 gig hdd's from old machine and stuck it in my machine, bios recognized them.
    -tried replacing IDE cables 3x.

i really dont want to try anything any more drastic, like popping the battery out and sticking it back in, but im running out of options. i have a lot of important files and documents for work and personal finance on this computer and i really really really cant lose this hdd. can anyone help?

Welcome to WinDrivers:

It may depend on the drive jumper settings, ie, cable select versus master/slave.

Does the original drive work when back where you started?

What is the jumper set to?

What is the jumper on the new one set to?

probably doesnt recgonise that size drive. try limiting the drive down to 32gig to make sure the drive isnt faulty.

failiong that, start looking for a bios update for the motherboard in your pc.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

thanks for the quick replys.

i don't know if it's a jumper problem or not. when i first tried to install the HDD i moved the jumper to cable select, but after that failed i moved it to master/noslave. i dont have a slave function, it's master/noslave , cable select, and cut down size of hdd. was there a chance the harddrive was set to master jumper, but plugged into the ide slave drivers?

i had the HDD set originally as a master slave to my cd drive. last night, after posting i managed to get BIOS to read my 2ndary HDD but not my original. i did this by plugging in my cd rom and my harddrive, but if i hook up my harddrive to master it wont read.

Last edited by CCT; March 15th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

ioCross, I'm convinced you've got the jumpers mis-set. It certainly isn't a BIOS capacity limitation issue. 753s shipped with 80 GB drives and have no problems accepting 120 GB drives. Done it many times.

That would generally leave either a DOA drive or a jumper issue. Since you say that another machine has detected the drive, I think a dead drive is unlikely. So, that leaves the jumper settings (and possibly an issue with cable position for the drive). But I don't have much doubt that the drive is jumpered incorrectly. First of all, you say you moved the jumper to cable select when you installed the drive, but all Maxtor PATA drives currently built ship with the jumper set to cable select by default. Check out http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD
    Last edited by slgrieb; March 15th, 2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo

i checked all the jumpers and they are set correctly. they are labeled on the hard drive.

in response to "But I don't have much doubt that the drive is jumpered incorrectly. First of all, you say you moved the jumper to cable select when you installed the drive, but all Maxtor PATA drives currently built ship with the jumper set to cable select by default." i was referring to my original master hdd. once that didn't work i moved it back to master/single and left it at that during all of my testing phases.

so far with all the input (thanks btw) i've managed to get the new hdd that i bought to read as a secondary master drive, but my original hdd is still a no-go. i dont know what the problem is, as ive gone through the website's jumper settings like 20x and the most interesting part is, with my current setup, if i plug in an old HDD it reads everything perfectly but when i plug my original hdd in it wont read at all.

once again checked all the jumper settings multiple times, reads every hdd but my original... starting to lean twards my original hdd somehow dying... ima put it in a xp machine tommorow and see what happens.
    Last edited by ioCross; March 16th, 2007 at 02:51 AM.

I have read that some Maxtor jumper labels are 'confusing'. Check into that.

There is the possibility you damaged the pins on the drive - check them for being straight and firm.

It is possible the IDE cable has a bad wire(s) or socket - can you access a spare cable?

the current drive reads in an old computer, i tried installing 3 different 80 wire ide cables to no avail..... i think im going to have to give up and take it to a shop.

Last thing I can think of is to pull the drives, shut down, pull the bios battery and wait 10 minutes - restart NO drives, shut down, install the original drive on the end of the IDE cable.

gl anyhow

ok so i found an interesting thing. i looked at the harddrive to count the amount of pins, and found one missing. i guess that could've happened last night, but would that account for my harddrive not being read at all?

i have my computer reading the 2ndary harddrive now, i just dont have an operating system to load it on.

I you are SURE that is broken off, some guidance:

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive144-2005-9-232659.html

Pin 20 is normally missing, is that the one?

as said above, power down, remove ALL other drives, and put this one in by itself. (being a maxtor, you might have to remove the jumper to enable single drive mode).
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

i had bought a Maxtor 40GB HDD tryed the AUTO DETECT and my Bios BLOCKS!!! restarted and instead of Auto DEtect i inputed the seetings manually (just typed some numbers) then Save & Exit and it worked fine. Maybe u should try this if ur ping isnt still broken