Vista is driving me nuts!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista is driving me nuts!!

Vista is driving me nuts!!

I'm at the point of launching my pc through the lounge window. Vista cannot find drivers for three of the most basic things that I have connected via usb. 1/ mp3 player, that's just basically a memory stick, 2/ a memory stick and 3/ I bought a new external storage hard drive today, and vista has no idea whatsoever what the hell to do with it. XP has no problem. Works a treat. So why the hell did they delete half the driver database when vista was created?

Welcome to Windrivers CamaroJace

So what are you doing, just plugging them in and waiting for them to install as you would under XP or is there software installation going on as well?

What errors or reactions are you getting from vista? What version Vista?
    Last edited by NooNoo; April 4th, 2007 at 04:38 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is your pc USB 2.0?
    What PC is it?
    Plugged into the front or rear?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hi,

WOW that was a quick response!! Thanks to you all!!

Right starting from the top to answer questions:

NOONOO

I plug the external devices into the usb slot as I always used to do with XP. It recognises the device, tells me what it is then searches for the driver. Then it says it can't find the driver and do I want it to check windows update, to which my reply is yes. Then it says there is no driver on windows update and to put in the drive the cd that originally came with the hardware. The only drivers that came with the hardware were the ones for win98, because xp/200/me recognises the device and has a huge driver database therefore there is no need to provide one. So I did put the win98 driver disc in. It installed the drivers from win98, and then said it has no driver for the actual harddrive contained within the unit, and so begins the whole looking for driver process again.

I am running Vista ultimate 32-bit.

FERRIT:

My pc is USB. It has a system rating of 4.5. I built the pc, it is an intel core 2 duo. 3 gig of ram. And I have plugged the devices in the font of the machine, which is simply an extension from the back.

The only drivers that came with the hardware were the ones for win98, because xp/200/me recognises the device and has a huge driver database therefore there is no need to provide one.
    I am running Vista ultimate 32-bit

Quite unlike XP, Vista does NOT have a huge driver database..your best bet is to check with the manufacturers of the devices to see if they have or are planning to have Vista drivers available for these things. Many of them are not
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Vista ultimate has the ability to block the installation of usb devices unless you run the install using elevated permissions or turn off uac.

Do other usb devices work? eg mouse

Did you get the chipset drivers for vista?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

All other usb devices work, in that port. I've even tried shifting to another usb port and the same happens. I've got a keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer/s, card readers etc and they all work fine. It's just flash drive/s/mp3 flash drive and this storage device that it badly struggles with.

If thats the case i would have to say then Vista isnt the problem since other usb devices seem to operate correctly.
    Its likely it isnt giving Vista the correct information when they are plugged in.
    I would go to each manufacturers site and see what they have to say about vista compatibility
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ok, here's what I have found so far. The usb device isn't at fault. If it was then the device certainly wouldn't work in XP. Having trawlled the net I have found that Logitech and Nokia software/drivers have been causing all sorts of problems, in particular regard to usb mass storage devices. The first thing to do is uninstall/delete these items (obviously back everything up in case this doesn't work so that you can put your pc back the way it was). The tell device manager to update the driver from this folder: c:\Windows\Sysetm32\DriverStore
    It will the request another driver and run through it all again, sometimes 3 times over. Hopwever, I have tried this on all of my devices that previously I couldn't get to work and hey presto all of them now work.

I'm well happy, this has only taken me what - 2 nights! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroJace
    Hi,

My pc is USB. It has a system rating of 4.5. I built the pc, it is an intel core 2 duo. 3 gig of ram. And I have plugged the devices in the font of the machine, which is simply an extension from the back.
    Hello, and welcome to Windrivers. I don't mean to sound rude but, there can be differences between front case mounted usb ports and the rear ones.

On some systems some devices will not work correctly or at all when plugged into the front usb ports of a PC but will when plugged into the back motherboard usb ports or add in card usb ports, this has to do with power differences if I am correct.
    Usually the front ports don't provide as much power to usb devices that need bus power. I think that is because of the "header" cables used to connect front ports to the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroJace
    Ok, here's what I have found so far. The usb device isn't at fault. If it was then the device certainly wouldn't work in XP. Having trawlled the net I have found that Logitech and Nokia software/drivers have been causing all sorts of problems, in particular regard to usb mass storage devices. The first thing to do is uninstall/delete these items (obviously back everything up in case this doesn't work so that you can put your pc back the way it was). The tell device manager to update the driver from this folder: c:\Windows\Sysetm32\DriverStore
    It will the request another driver and run through it all again, sometimes 3 times over. Hopwever, I have tried this on all of my devices that previously I couldn't get to work and hey presto all of them now work.

I'm well happy, this has only taken me what - 2 nights! lol.
    That's good news, but if you uninstalled nokia and logitech stuff, did you reinstall them after?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    That's good news, but if you uninstalled nokia and logitech stuff, did you reinstall them after?

No, I didn't have Nokia installed anyways, and logitech works fine on the windows drivers. So all is well!

Thanks Camero

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    Hello, and welcome to Windrivers. I don't mean to sound rude but, there can be differences between front case mounted usb ports and the rear ones.

On some systems some devices will not work correctly or at all when plugged into the front usb ports of a PC but will when plugged into the back motherboard usb ports or add in card usb ports, this has to do with power differences if I am correct.
    Usually the front ports don't provide as much power to usb devices that need bus power. I think that is because of the "header" cables used to connect front ports to the motherboard.
    I didn't think you were being rude and sorry for any of my abrupt replies. I was just so totally hacked of with Vista, you know the story. Stressed to the max trying to get one unit to work that shouldn't be hard, well - it never used to be in XP! Must admit though I do way prefer Vista, they just need to sort out a few teething issues, but then it was the same with ME/2000 and XP.

Nice thread. I still cannot get my Vista machine to update... I do have Logitech and Nokia drivers installed.

I've spent hours on the phone with Microsoft tech help, and haven't gotten anywhere, I wonder if that is my problem.