[RESOLVED] Vista and Xp dual boot problem.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Vista and Xp dual boot problem.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Vista and Xp dual boot problem.

Hello,

Im trying to install vista on a second hard drive and dual boot it with XP.

But after installation of vista on the second hard drive the computer wont boot up and I have to delete vista from the drive before I can boot to xp.

Any suggestions why this could be?

so you don't get the boot manager up at all? Does it post ok? Are the drives different connections - eg, 1 ata and the other S ata?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No I donbt get the boot manager up at all. It does post okay the screen flickers here and ther, I get the Vista splash screen although its just a progress bar at the bottom and nothing else, theres a flickering of the hdd light here and there but 5 minutes later I give up and hit reset. The same thing happens again.

And yes the Xp drive is a ata drive and the Vista drive is a sata.

I disconnected the other drives and reinstalled vista on my sata drive. But it still wont boot. I then had to boot to the xp disk, delete the partition on the vista drive and then run fixboot on the xp drive before it would boot again.
    Not sure why vista wont boot up though.

It installs on my laptop as an upgrade instal no problems. But I dont really want it on my laptop. I want to run it on my other hdd on my desktop as a dual boot setup so I can see what its like before I wipe XP and install it as my main OS.

You need to set the vista drive as the first boot device and the xp drive as the second boot device...
    the boot manager should take it from there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I decided to just wipe my main drive and do a fresh install of vista so I also unplugged all of my other drives except for the c drive that Vista was going on.
    I installed vista but after the first reboot nothing happens. It doesnt actually hang as such, there is some slight hdd light flickering here and there but after almost 45 mins I gave up. Its the same thing that happened before. although on the laptop it was fine)
    I googled the problem and noticed many other people having the same problem but no one seemed to have come up with an answer.

My system can run Vista I have a 2,4ghz and 1 gb ram so I cant see why its doing this.

C drive is sata or ide? Did you have vista format it?

The C drive is an ide drive. I used the xp disc to delete the partition and recreate a new one to start off fresh. I let vista format the drive although it didnt actually say it did.
    Hey but guess what as I type this the install seems to have gone further than it did the first few times. Ive removed my tv tuner card and everything else that isnt needed so maybe thats why. Will let you know.

Hey wow guess what that did the trick. The install is all but finished and is just setting up the finer details right now. Im to scared to plug my tv card back in though. Well at least until i go to their website and see if i can find some Vista drivers for it.
    So now on to my other vista problem but I will start another post for it.

Did you do the compatibility check first? You been to your tv tuner's site for vista info/updates?

Did you do the compatibility check first?
    Umm...yes...But I was too excited and didnt pay much attention to it after the bit that said Vista was good to go on my system.
    I tried plugging the card back in and rebooting once I had Vista up and running but it wont boot so had to take the card out again. I will check their website and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help.