No external display yet internal display is fine

Thread: No external display yet internal display is fine

No external display yet internal display is fine

I have a problem with my laptop not displaying to any external display monitor. The internal display fortunately is fine.

The external monitor is getting a signal from the vga port as it says "cannot display this video mode" on one display or on another it does it says the signal is out of scan range with scan at 300Hz. Sometimes that monitor shows the display but garbled as not in sync.
    These external monitors work fine for another computer and so the monitors are ok.

Everything was fine for the ext monitor on my laptop too about a month ago. I don't project to ext monitors very often but did a presentation then and all was fine. So something happened in last month.

I have updated video driver. I download a specific monitor driver for one of the monitors and neither helped. I updated BIOS in laptop and again no avail.

Seems to me the video adapter is either not functioning (hardware wise) or some setting is not right. Since the internal display is fine and I get a signal to the ext monitor and sometimes it is garbled (not in sync) I would think it is a config issue.

Boy I have looked all over for guidance on this issue and setting configs. Saw stuff for linux but not on windows xp.

Specifics of my laptop

Toshiba Tecra M1
    Windows XP Professional
    Display Adapter: Trident Video Accelerator Cyber XP-4 v6.4823-104

any guidance is greatly appreciated. Beyond the specifics of this laptop, the issue is what might of happened to stop ext display even though internal display is fine

thanks
    walto

Welcome to Windrivers Waltomaley

sorry you haven't been answered before... is there still a problem?

Have you tried connecting the monitor while your laptop is running in safemode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."