4 28.57%
  • Vista 64

3 21.43%
  • Dual boot/other

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New system, What OS?

New system, What OS?

I've gotten the last parts for a hefty upgrade and i'm debating what OS's to install. I have an MSDN subscrition so i have full choice of OS's.

The new system is a Core2Duo, so i get 64 bit support, having been accustomed to and only dealing with 32 bit OS's, I'm not sure what relevancy i'm seeing if i move to the 64 bit bandwagon. I'm currently leaning towards an XP/Vista dual boot for application compatibility issues with vista in general, but i'm not 100% on that path.

What opinions do you have to offer regarding choice of OS's?

Specs:
    E6600
    2 gigs ram
    Raptor HDD
    Geforce 8800GS (320 meg)
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I installed a copy of Vista 64 a few days ago and so far the only thing I cannot get to work with it is my 6 year old scanner. Other than that it runs great.

I would say Run Vista 64 and download a copy of MS Virtual PC 2007 to run XP32 for things that may not work on Vista.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I would avoid a 64-bit OS unless you have a need for it (specific software that requires it, or more than 4gb of memory support needed) and stick with 32-bit. Otherwise I agree with Bob - put Vista on it and use Virtual PC to run XP if needed for specific apps.

i plan on installing virtual PC for linux. The problem i have with VPC is that it can't emulate the graphics card for games, so XP will be a true dual boot.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Just built a very similar system, using XP32 happily.

Ubuntu 7.04 comes out on Thursday. I would dual-boot that with XP if it were me.
    Hello World

I'd do Vista 32 unless you have specific software issues with it.

Dual boot Vista 32/64
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I'd do Vista 32 unless you have specific software issues with it.

Why not just Dual Boot Vista 64 and XP32? Vista 64 has the ability to run most 32bit apps. I have installed many without any problems.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

Bob, I just don't see a compelling reason for V64 right now. Hardware support for it isn't quite as good as 32, most 32 bit software doesn't run any better on it. AND:
    Rant of The Week; software vendors are inexcusably slow rolling out 64 bit apps, just like most need to be thrashed for their poor support of multi-threading!

I think, overall, 32 bit OSs are just a bit more mature than their 64 bit siblings. So, I'd either do V32 alone or in a dual-boot config with XP. It's not like you can't makes a change if the landscape changes significantly, after all.

I guess that depends on how you purchase Vista. I think if you get the retail Upgrade or Full version it comes with both the 32bit and 64bit versions but if you decide to go OEM you get one or the other but you do save some money.

From my experience with the beta and having it as my primary OS it seems to run my 32bit apps just fine. Granted they are not faster, but I didn't expect them to be. I had no trouble finding 64bit Drivers and a 64bit Antivirus so I think if it will do 64bit and 32bit go 64bit because if apps start coming out with 64bit compatibility you are already set and you don't have to completely re-format your computer (and possibly purchase another version of the OS) to do it later. I have Windows XP and Virtual PC2007 if I come across a necessessary application that will not run on Vista64, but so far I have not.

Absolutely right about the standard OS choices, but Mat isn't confined by that, so he has more flexibility than the average user. Even for most folks, I think that by the time there are enough mainstream 64 bit apps (and good enough implementations to make them compelling compared to the 32 bit versions) most current hardware won't be up to the task.

I think i stated early that i have a full MSDN account, so i'm not limited by the price tag of any of the OS's.

I decided to go dual boot, XP32 with Vista ultimate 64 bit (I was tossing around going with Enterprise Edition).

Other then some hiccups installing XP, everything went smoothly.

I wanted to go 64 bit due to being in the field, My department supports a lot of the leading edge technologies so keeping abreast is a good thing.

Thank you everyone for your advice.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Just fired up my new one!

The new computer is up and running, though not finished. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 on a new box I just assembled. DFI Infinity CFX3200 board with 4 gig 667 ram. 2 ATI X1950 pro video in crossfire. 3 Western Digital 320 GIG Caviar sata drives. The usual dVD and CD drives as well. Also have a 19" Samsung flat panel monitor. Might get a second one soon. Also have the big Zalman donut heat sink for socket AM2. All in an Antec 900 case and a PC Power & Cooling whisper 750 power supply. Haven't had time to put it to the test, but it looks good so far. I'l be getting my left knee replaced next Wednesday, so I probably will be off the net for some time. Probably won't get much done as far as setting up my super killer PC.
    Jim Cook

Quote Originally Posted by jaimicook
    I'l be getting my left knee replaced next Wednesday, so I probably will be off the net for some time
    URMM, is that part of your upgrades...???
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)