SHFOLDER.DLL, DLG.EXE and AOL SOFTWARE

Thread: SHFOLDER.DLL, DLG.EXE and AOL SOFTWARE

Exclamation SHFOLDER.DLL, DLG.EXE and AOL SOFTWARE

Hello! Just wanna ask if you guys have any idea as to how to remove the error message i am getting when i turn on my computer. I get an error saying AOL SOFTWARE as the Title of the error box and then a message saying shfolder.dll is not found. And then another message will come up DLG.EXE with the same error shfolder.dll not found. This happens when the computer logs in to windows. I tried to disable all startup items in MSCONFIG, reboot and the error disappeared. So what i did was enabled all startup items again in MSCONFIG, disabled AOL SOFTWARE and then reboot the computer, and the error message came right back. Any idea as to how to remove this error message permanently. Thanks!!!

possable Spyware?

If you have not already ruled out spyware and/or virus infection, I can highly recommend three applications that will do major good in cleaning up a sick puter.

Anti Virus: AVG 7.5
    www.GriSoft.com

Look for the AVG anti virus Professional "Trial" version, this will give you thirty days of full functioning software to clean viruses off a machine, and if you like it as much as I do, then when your ready, a 2 year subscription is $38.. Don't use the anti spyware version, I don't know if it's any better now but the last time I tried it it was crap (too slow).

SpyWare Ball Breaker: AD-AWARE SE 1.06r
    www.Tucows.com (search for this exact title)

After downloading ad-aware, installing it and allowing it to update automatically, set all options to on that you can and upon hitting next, select the whole system to scan (second option as opposed to the first a short scan). legally, this copy is only for private use and business use requires purchasing for something like $40.. Try the free one, after cleaning up your machine, if you like it, buy it...

Spyware Cleanup tool and system adjuster: SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4
    www.Tucows.com (again search for this exact title)

During the install, allow spybot to update then close the application, re-open and run (it works better that way). Using this application after using the other one is the best method of cleaning out the spyware, switching back and forth on completion of scans is very good too. Also, this application in advance mode, allows you to make adjustments to start up and other options (it's actually pretty crazy one you search through all it can do).. This guy is in Germany and is well deserving of your donations to his project.. yes if you found it as use full as I have!

I hope this helped...

ps. forgot to mention the reason I recommended all this crap.. many many times when there is a virus or spyware infection, you get messages just like the ones you described.. There for, when you get rid of the spyware and viruses, the messages just go away by themselves.. that's why I said, if you have not ruled out spyware and viruses, scan and kill those firt and your pesky messages may go away also..

Barry,