[RESOLVED] Dell 1505 TSSTCorp TS-L632D stopped working - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dell 1505 TSSTCorp TS-L632D stopped working

Welcome to Windrivers moises

Could you explain what your problem is?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up FIXED !! Thanks Matridom ! DVD for a Acer Aspire 5610Z

Holy krap.

Yes, 'tis true. I also registered for this site (which I just happened upon after a google search for the model number of the DVD drive within my acer aspire 5610Z laptop) JUST TO SAY THANK YOU TO MATRIDOM !

Thank you Matridom.

Key points:

1. I do have the same model number of DVD drive within my Acer Aspire
    5610z (BL50). Purchased cheap years ago at Best Buy .. great little machine for the money. It did have the same exact drive listed here on this forum inside.. a TSST Corp ATA TS-L632D

2. I am relatively computer/tech savy, but have had a non-working DVD drive now for over a year. I have tried physically removing and re-installing, and I have tried many other forum fixes, and at this point truly thought it was a BAD drive component, and needed to simply buy a new one for replacement.

3. Recently was going to upgrade the hard drive, and was going to Norton Ghost the 120GB drive it came with, and install a new Seagate 500GB drive. I thought I would give the DVD "fix" one more attempt prior to above, just so that when this drive replacement process was done...... the whole machine would be working / like brand-new .. but with the new larger capacity drive.

4. Google searching (which I had done a year ago, and spent hours reading) dug this site, and specifically this forum up this time.... and was skeptical at first, but since I had a major back-up done, was blowing out the hard drive anyway, and DID do a major registry back-up anyway.... what did I have to lose to try it.

5. Guess what folks ?!? Worked. I repeat. Worked.

I don't know why ?!? or how ?!? but it worked.

6. Another item that may be important. When I went to the link Matridom included to microsoft, it had tons of information, and was very very specific on what to do, and what to look for. However, at the very top, it had a dummy-like "fix it now" type button.... and yes, as a human being, I was too tempted not to try that (of course). It did NOTTA on my system, and figured as much anyhow. I also assumed Matridom was referring to the section that involved manually editing the registry. I had done registry edits prior, but only on spyware items (and wasn't overly comfortable doing so prior). Bottom line is: The "fix it" dummy button did nothing.. but my registry did have both filters listed, and I did delete them both. Rebooted machine.. all worked just fine.

7. My residual question to anyone out there, that doesn't seem to be much addresses is:

Why are these filters there ? How did they get there ? What functionality does one LOSE (if any) by deleting them ?!? I have noticed no problem at all, but just curious as heck on the why/and how. I do know though, that often with computers, you often don't care why/how ... as long as the damn thing works ! :-)

8. Signing off for now. To conclude though, I am still amazed the internet has such sharing and free information out there, and although many of these posts go back years, it saved my ARRRSSSS in February 2010. Go figure !?!

Hope my follow-up posts help anyone out there with an Acer, and.. remember..

Matridom RULLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssss !!

Yep, I have found the tip from Matridom just fabulous. I had a code 39 from my system relating to the TSST corp dvd+-RW TS-L632D, and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the devices manager slot. Went to site and fixed problem. Brill!!

Thanks, it's always amazing how many people old threads help.

Filters are used by various software applications that need to use the drive for special reasons. Most burning software for example needs will add filters. in some cases, re-installing the burning software will re-apply the appropriate filter. Additionally, Windows will add filters based on the performance of the drive. To many CRC errors and windows will artificially slow the drive down permanently, it tracks this by using filters.

Most current software no longer uses filters so you really don't loose much by deleting them. it's also very important to know that this problem can happen with any optical drive.
    Last edited by Matridom; August 12th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Of course, iTunes continues to use Gear Software's ASPI layer to provide burning support; which remains one of the leading causes of optical drive problems in Windows. Well, at least Apple is consistent about providing crappy software for Windows.

Hi guys, hoping you can possibly help me - I ran the program linked by Matridom and no joy I have a novatech laptop (m54r if that helps any) with this cd/dvd drive and the problem appears to be that it won't read or write - my system thinks that the drive is working okay. The program listed the only problem as being unreadable media, but it's just a normal cd!

Any ideas gratefully recieved! I was thinking of replacing the drive, but want to make sure that I can't fix it or that it's not a different problem first. The other thing I'd be willing to try if reinstalling windows etc, as I have been thinking about that anyway.

Thanks.

Hi, if Device Manager reports the device OK, it's usually either the laser failed or a dirty laser lens. If you haven't already tried, clean the lens, and if that doesn't restore operation, check the drive by trying to boot from a bootable CD or DVD. This takes Windows out of the equation, and if the drive can't read a disc to boot from and the laser lens is clean, then that indicates a failed laser and would confirm you need to replace the drive.

Lately I have seen that "Fixit" program failing and had to follow further down that page and do it manually. I would try the manual fix
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks guys! Shall give both a try - need to get hold of a cleaning set