I have reformatted my compaq 8000 (don't have the exact model # on me) from win xp home to xp pro. Now the Ethernet Controller hardware is found but cannot find a driver to make it work. I have inserted the xp disk but still can't find a driver. I have visited the HP drivers website, and, for my machine, there is no Ethernet Controller driver. On my machine I have tried navigating to the driver via the install hardware window, and tried every network adapter driver that it would accept, but none of them would work. I did remove each one before I installed the next one.

I have searched and seen that a few other people have had the same problem, but have not seen a solution offered, other than the ones mentioned above, and have not seen anyone post that these solutions worked for them. I used my compaq cds, tried every one of them that seemed likely to have drivers on it, and none had the drivers.

I am considering a reformat and install of the winxp home that came with the machine, in hopes that it will find its ethernet controller again, and then just updating to xp pro. Don't even know if this will be possible. any other suggestions?