dell optiplex gx60

Thread: dell optiplex gx60

Talking dell optiplex gx60

Hello everyone. GO MAN UNTD. Well my friend just gave me an old dell optiplex gx60. The onboard video card doesnt work. It doesnt have an agp slot, only 3 pci slots and one longer one. Should I buy a pci video card? Another question. The computer has been completely wiped. It probably doesnt have any drivers. Do i need to install any drivers for the video card to work? Another question. The computer has the win2k certificate of authenticity, how can I reinstall win2k? Do I need a reinstall cd and if so, is there any way I can make one myself on the web, or where can I get one? Thank anyone who helps.
    Man Untd 3 - ACMilan 2

Yes you should be able to put a PCI video card in the system and it should override the onboard. Is this a tower unit or one of those slim line desktops. The reason I ask is because if it is one of those slim line desktops I think those can only take low profile PCI cards.

If the computer has a Windows 2K COA sticker on the side you should be able to install Windows 2000 using any CD. If you do not have one you may be able to contact Dell to get an OEM replacement at a minimal cost, but doesn't the person who gave you the computer have the restore discs?
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

thanks

Yeah, it is a tower so no worries there. My friend does have the cd but I brought the computer down from tallahassee and im now in miami. im gonna go ahead and get a video card and see where i can get the cd. thank you

Well then I would see if he can ship you the OEM Windows CD so you can install. That should not require a product key and would be the best way to get windows on your machine. The drivers can be downloaded from Dell and other than that you should be all set.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Samson, do mean the onboard video doesn't even display a power-on self test when you start the computer? If that is the case, I'd be a little cautious. Try to get a PCI video that you can return if you need to.

A dead on board video adapter may be just that, but it could be more, so I'd say you should try to make sure you can cut your losses.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    You could check here to see if this is the correct 2000 restore disk.
    I've bought from him before.He is dependable.

http://www.crazydecal.com/surplusbyt...rplusbytes.htm

Below is his ebay site.He has been there 8 years.I have bought from him
    for a couple of years.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...d=surplusbytes
    Last edited by street1; April 26th, 2007 at 05:52 AM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.