Weird Issue

Thread: Weird Issue

Weird Issue

Gday,

i have a very weird issue with one of my clients networks, not sure what happened but recently whenever i logon with the administrator account onto the windows xp client machines it takes about 15 minutes to logon, i installed a new vista pc and that does not experience the same issue and logging onto the sbs2003 server as administrator is very quick. all the other user accounts log on without any problems, this is a sbs2003 domain, i have checked dns and there are no group policies in force. Issue is only with the administrator account on the windows xp pcs. any suggestions will greatly be appriciated.

THanks

Welcome to Windrivers Solidn

Have you tried creating a new administrator account on one of the xp machines (and on the domain of course) to see if it's a profile problem or not?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks, i used to log onto windrivers a few years back i think my nick was DaRipper.
    i havent yet tried creating a new domain administrator account, i just find it very wierd to see the problem on all the windows xp computers, i have not setup roaming profiles either so i cant see why the issue has replicated to all the windows xp computers, i would understand if it was only happening on one pc. i first suspected dns but i checked it and it all seems fine.

i would say creating a new domain administrator account would be a work around, just trying to solve it without having to do that.

Thanks

Sometimes slow log ons can be caused by user profiles that don't log off correctly. If you haven't already tried it check out MS User Hive Profile Cleanup Tool at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...n&Hash=3PKGHL8

I've also seen similar behavior (1.5 hr log on!) at a client where they had a software installation on the server that conflicted with both MS SUS and WSUS. The program in question was Summit's Teller Advantage, and we could never get it to play well with any version of MS server-based update software. Since Teller Advantage never worked right either, we went to a different version that didn't use IIS and got everything working.

the only applicaiton that i know of that has been installed recently has been the new act 9, i will need to check if that is causing the issues, but i dont see why it would do it only to the administrator account, if i disconnect the windows xp pc from network (unplug the network cable) before logging on i can log on as the domain administrator very quikly using the cached details, just seems to take forever when authenticating against the domain.

Ok, i deleted the local administrator profile off one of the windows xp pc's and tried to logon using the domain administrator account, and guess what it is still the same it took a very long time for it to logon.... i created another admin user account in active directory and logged onto the windows xp pc using that and it logged in very quickly without any issues, is there anyway of fixing the domain administrator account?? or am i going to have to rename it and create a new administrator account?? anyone have any ideas on this.

Thanks

Given the number of possible issues, policies, reg settings etc, it is going to be quicker to rename it and create a new one than try to fix the old one.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The original admin account isn't using roaming profiles is it; or running a hidden logon or startup script?

emr

Well thats what is making it extremly wierd, it does not have a roaming profile or any start up scripts, when logging on using it it kind of pauses when you enter the password and then thinks about it for a few minutes then moves on and starts applying computer settings for a few more minutes then goes in, at first i suspected dns so i checked that and it all seems fine, the issue has only affected the administrator account on all existing windows xp clients, but has not affected the vista business or sbs server, renameing the administrator account is the easy way out, i would love to work out what caused this issue but cant waste too much time on it.

Where all these xp machines imaged? I'm thinking something was corrupt in the image that was used for these machines.

not sure if they where as this is a new client but the problem only started recently, actually thinking about it service pack 1 for windows 2003 was installed around the same time this issue started, could be something on that, i tend to think that the administrator account has corrupted in active directory or something around those lines. that is why this thread has the title weird......

Take a look at this

Is there are reason you haven't installed SP2 for 2003?

Thanks for the replies, there really isnt much reason as to why service pack 2 has not been installed other than the client has been too busy for us to go in and they really havent had any issues, i will put service pack 2 on when it is convienent and hopefully it will resolve this issue even if we never know what happened...

THanks