Important activation changes to Windows Vista
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Important activation changes to Windows Vista

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Important activation changes to Windows Vista

I just got this in an email from MS partner program.
    I haven't had a chance to verify it.

To: Microsoft Partners

Subject: Important activation changes to Windows Vista

Date: April 27, 2007

As a valued partner and trusted advisor to our customers, I wanted to re-iterate Microsoft’s commitment to helping protect consumers and software resellers from the risks associated with pirated software. Millions of PCs that ship each year end up with non-genuine Windows® software, which puts you at a competitive disadvantage, and your customers at risk of a sub-optimal experience.

The significant anti-piracy technologies built into Windows Vista™ software are designed to make the widespread pirating of Windows Vista more difficult. Now, all customers who deploy Windows Vista must successfully activate their product using a genuine product key. If a non-genuine product key is used in activation, customers will experience reduced functionality and lose certain features, such as Microsoft Aero and ReadyBoost.

To avoid potential business disruptions and maintain the highest level of satisfaction with Windows Vista deployments, the most important activation changes for you to be aware of and to inform your customers about are:

1. Activation: In the first 30 days of use, all new installations of Windows Vista must be activated by the OEM, through Windows Vista volume licensing technologies, or by the end customer. If Windows Vista is not activated in the first 30 days, the system will operate in a reduced functionality mode.
    2. Validation: In order to protect users from being victimized by counterfeit software, and to protect Microsoft’s intellectual property, Windows Vista includes ongoing validation. Through validation, if non-genuine Windows Vista is detected (including non-genuine product keys, cracked or tampered code) the system enters a 30-day grace period. During this time Windows Aero and ReadyBoost features are disabled, and Windows Defender and Windows Update will have limited capabilities (optional updates will not be available through Windows Update, and Windows Defender will only remove critical and severe threats). In addition, during this grace period, a message will appear repeatedly, encouraging the user to take the steps necessary to activate with a genuine product key in order to regain the full value of Windows Vista and to prevent the system from going into a reduced functionality mode.
    3. Reduced Functionality: After the repeated prompts above, and if Windows Vista is not activated in the 30-day grace period, the system will operate in a reduced functionality state until a genuine product key is used for activation. In this reduced state, the user will have access to their files and applications, and access to the Internet. However, the desktop will be simplified with only a browser (no Start Menu or Task Bar) and Windows Vista usage will be limited to one hour sessions, at which time the user is forced to log off. Additionally, users may boot the system in Safe Mode in order to access or back-up personal data and applications.

I encourage you to communicate early with customers about the activation changes. For customers that experience reduced functionality, you can help them resolve this by providing them information about how to activate their Windows Vista properly or enable them to purchase a genuine copy.

Learn more to help you discuss this with your customers.

If you serve customers in multiple ways, you may receive a similar communication from the Microsoft OEM team about these new anti-piracy changes. Together, we are working to deliver a great Windows Vista experience for you and for our customers.

Thank you for your business,

Allison Watson
    Corporate Vice President
    Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Angry

Continuous validation, This is a better Vista experience?
    I have tried the latest release candidate, and all their security is, is nagware and MS spy ware , Yes MS writes spy ware
    Reduced functionality = less security
    No wonder I am NOT buying vista, Linux is looking really good about now
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

I been on vista for quite a while and i think continued validation refers to acquiring new software same as in XP.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by format c:
    Continuous validation, This is a better Vista experience?
    I have tried the latest release candidate, and all their security is, is nagware and MS spy ware , Yes MS writes spy ware
    Reduced functionality = less security
    No wonder I am NOT buying vista, Linux is looking really good about now

If people didn't steal, there would be no need for any of this... no point in blaming MS when the problem is the theives.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If people didn't steal, there would be no need for any of this... no point in blaming MS when the problem is the theives.
    Agreed
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Well, I think it is worth considering at what point the anti-piracy measures become more of a burden on honest users than on the crooks.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Well, I think it is worth considering at what point the anti-piracy measures become more of a burden on honest users than on the crooks.
    Agreed, but do you go out of your house without locking all the doors and windows anymore? I find it a royal pain to go back and shut the window that the kids left open when I am trying to get to somewhere in a hurry...

At least the validation is press a button, wait, then continue on for most people.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I think you have the analogy wrong, Noo. I'd say the activation and validation issues have become somewhat more like buying a house that requires you to use 3 different keys to unlock 3 different deadbolt locks, and then enter your PIN on a keyboard followed by pressing your thumb to a scanner to biometrically verify your identity so you can open your front door. Which is made of 1/8 inch plywood.

If you spend most of your time working on computers owned by individuals or small business which don't use volume licensing, the whole activation/validation process can be a monumental pain in the rear. Machines which have needed several legitimate reactivations (new hardware, reformats, etc.) and any of the brands which MS seems to think have been sloppy with security and may have leaked OS CDs and product IDs will refuse to reactivate online.

Of course, I always try online activation first, except for those systems that tell me I have to activate before logging on and can't be activated online because I can't install the effing driver for the effing NIC until I can log on. But heck, if you can't activate online, all you have to do is call MS. Their automated system tells you to try online activation first, because doing it by phone takes 6 to 10 minutes.

FINE! Doing the phone activation requires you to speak or manually enter the product ID, and you can't bypass this step even if you already know (per Paragraph 2, that it won't work). After all of this you can speak to a real live person. And the MS support staff have always been unfailingly polite and helpful and have generally given me an activation code immediately.

Except for those times when I had to provide a product number (oh, no, not the model number on the faceplate, but the number on the sticker on the rear of the machine), and sometimes a serial number. And sometimes the place of purchase. Actually, I like it when I get this last question, because it can be fun. As in, "I believe the unit was purchased in Yomammasnose Alaska at the Fat Chance Bar, Grille, and Computer Center." Always gives me a thrill when the support rep thanks me for this information.

What a fun way to spend my time and the customer's money! And of course MS has never had any problems with its Windows Validation/Genuine Advantage Tools, or issues with it's Vista Upgrade editions failing to activate. Or hacked OEM IDs. Fortunately, I bet all of this puts a huge dent in the business of pirates in The People's Republic of China cranking out a few thousand bootlegs a day.
    Last edited by slgrieb; April 29th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.

NooNoo: have to agree w/ slgrieb on this one as well. I'll say this and run from the firestorm it may trigger - I'm kicking myself for spending more money upgrading my PC these last few months, rather than taking the $ and buying a nicely configured G5 and virtually running XP (or Vista) through Mac's Boot Camp software...but the deed's done, and the parts aren't going back, and if it weren't for PC, I'd have to work in the entertainment industry (a fate worse than death!)

Slgrieb, I did say for MOST people!!

I didn't say it was the greatest thing going, but I did say if people didn't steal, write malicious code etc, then there would be no need. If you can come up with a better system to ensure that your software is not being pirated or compromised, I am sure MS will pay you handsomely for it!

Slgrieb,

I tend to side with Noo. It's the pirates who really are to blame for the situation we now find ourselves in! I cannot criticise M$ for trying to protect themselves. Most days I need to reactivate one version or another and I've got it down to about 5 minutes using M$ telephone activation, just through experience as to knowing when the hash key needs to be pressed. Only very rarely do I need to speak to an operator and yes I agree wholeheartedly that they are always very polite and helpful.

For a machine to activate automatically on line is fairly rare recently, as the bulk of my repairs seem to be on branded machies, Dells, e-Machines, Advents, Compaqs etc. I can't recall when any of these have activated automatically - always end up calling M$. I suspect that "big box" block licensed machines may be excluded from on line activation.

M$ have been top of my "friends and family" listing for months.

I do actually believe that the GWA initiative has had an effect on the counterfeiters, I certainly see far less VLK machines than I did 6 months ago, only one or two a month these days. Time was I was legalising three or four a week..... Nowadays I only need to hold a couple of each version of XP in stock.

Good lord, reading back I've been complimentary to M$!! Either they're getting better or I'm mellowing with old age - Nah! they're getting better

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

There is certainly merit to your arguments guys. I suppose had it not been for the lack of active copy protection schemes on its earlier products such DOS, Windows 1.0 through W2K, Word, Excel, Office, etc. that Microsoft today could possibly be the largest software company on the planet. I can even imagine an alternate reality in which Bill Gates is the wealthiest human in the world.

Certainly, I understand MS desire to be paid for their products, and I'm glad that the small annoyance of activation and validation has boosted MS profits through a decrease in piracy. I also appreciate how MS has shared the benefits of reduced piracy with the consumer by the small, but significant reductions in Vista pricing. I feel my increased stock dividends rolling in as well.

Even though the article is already on Windrivers home page, I'm going to go ahead and post it here because I think it is relevant: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=379

And how much do you pay for Windows and Office?

Finally I'd say that copy protection itself and schemes to prevent legal users from having simple access to their software does as much to promote piracy as does the "cheap ride/free ride" mentality.

So when are you going to give up servicing windows machines on principle slgrieb?

interesting to note though that the US library service benefits greatly from windows. So perhaps making a profit is a good thing?

Well what has turned me off with activation is when I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled the same OS on the exact same machine and it refused to activate
    I was a criminal because I formatted my drive , I do not feel like sitting on the phone typing in a 42 digit number and having it fail then getting some human and going through the process
    What I do with my computer is my business , I pay for the use of the software and I want to use it
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Format C: If it was the same machine and you only formatted and you own the licence, it means that someone else used your licence without your knowledge.

I agree it's your software and you want to use it, but if it was stolen from you, wouldn't you want to spend the time to report it?