NIC Drivers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NIC Drivers

NIC Drivers

Hello Everyone!

I have two Digicom bookshelf PCs they are suppose to be exactly alike. Using a ALI 1489 chip set with a AMD 133 CPU and Cirrus 5446 v5.3 Bios. Anyways I say suppose to be, because I was using one of the two machines to clean install win98 two HDs for both machines. Well I finished up the one, after loading all the drivers and such, and place the HD in its twin. I go to device manager and look to make sure all devices have no errors. The Network adapter for this second machine say that the adaptor could not be found or the drivers are not loaded for this device. I would place this HD back into the first machine and everything works fine. I have tried various drivers for this adaptor! Its suppose to be an UMC UM9008 NIC adaptor. I don't think it is! Is there any software that I can use to tell me exactly what kind of adaptor it is! The bad thing is I have tried some driver update tools, but those have to use to internet, which I can't access! HELP!

It could be the adaptor in the second machine has died... have you checked that the card is plugged in to the slot properly?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I forgot to mention that the NIC is integrated on the mobo. As far as I know there is know way to test the NIC it see if it is bad! I will have to look to see if I have a ASI card to stick in there, the machine does have a riser card!

I forgot to mention that you that there is no such thing as an identical nic and windows knows this... did you try to reinstall the driver when you swapped the hard drives over? Have you loaded the other hard drive yet?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes I tried both new HD's in that machine, which has an issue. Both drives give the same error messege. I just tried another driver and you can see the driver load and all is dandy till the reboot. It now says

"This device is not working properly because the BIOS in the device is reporting the resources for the device incorrectly (Code 9) Contact the manufacturer to get an updated BIOS for your device.

Quote Originally Posted by rsnovak

"This device is not working properly because the BIOS in the device is reporting the resources for the device incorrectly (Code 9) Contact the manufacturer to get an updated BIOS for your device.
    This code means that the information in the registry for this device is invalid.

It may be possible to resolve this error by using Device Manager to remove the device and then running the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel. If you continue to receive this error code, contact the hardware's manufacturer for the proper registry settings or updated drivers.

So you need to boot to safe mode, then uninstall ALL networking components in add/remove software - windows components. You then uninstall the nic in device manager. Having done that, shut down and go straight into bios/setup and disable the onboard lan or network. Now boot to normal mode to check that windows does not detect the nic.

That should be enough to clear the problem without having to edit the registry if you are lucky.

Now shut down, re-enable the onboard lan and reinstall the network.

I think this problem is to do with you swapping the hard drives around, it has corrupted the registry settings... as I said, there is no such thing as an identical nic.

I just went into the bios and there is no where in the BIOS to disable the onboard lan. So if I have to go into the registry to edit the adapter settings how do I know what they should be? And also where exactly should I edit it in the registry?

The registry entries are under HKeyLocalMachine\enum\pci and hunt through the ven keys to find the right one... delete the ven key for the network card and then reboot.

Note if you delete the wrong key you may have to reload the OS.

since my adapter in not an PCI there are no ven keys for the network card. In the HKeyLocalMachine\enum there is an network folder, is there anything in there I could delete?

Then check through all the keys under enum

I found an key for ISA PNP network card um9008 and deleted it. I rebooted and when the OS came back up it re-installed the NIC and I still get the same error. I then removed the adapter under device manager and the key was gone in the registry (which I expected) I do notice when win98 is loading I get same IPX netware errors. I have no netware on this system. Do you think I could be a confliction some where?

I farted

You shouldn't need netware or ipx, you need tcp/ip and client for microsoft windows.

Yeah I know, I cleared all adapters out of DM. When I reboot as the OS is loading, I get some device scripts that run (which is the netware and IPX) then the OS loads...then the PNP detects the unknown device( which is the NIC) installs the device drivers. After those are installed it reboots, loads windows with no errors. I open the DM and I see the NIC bios error. I'm puzzled!

ok in the run box type in
    winipcfg
    select the adapter... post what it says.