Failed Internet connection

Thread: Failed Internet connection

Failed Internet connection

I am connected to the internet with my cable company's dsl internet connection. I tried to connect today and got the "page not found" message. My internet connections shows that it's ok. I turned off the firewall but nothing happen. My cable company said it's some software that I have installed. But I don't know where to go from there without cleaning the whole drive.

well, what software have you installed recently? It could be spyware/trojan/virus infestation. Have you tried restting tcp/ip and winsock? (I am assuming you run xp)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I installed Microsoft Office 2002 and AVG antivirus. I uninstalled Norton antivirus, Microsoft Office 2000, and the trial version of Microsoft Office 2003. I have a HP Pavilion running XP Media Edition. I have not checked the settings you mentioned yet.

uninstalled Norton? That's a likely cause... did you use the norton removal tool? Norton uninstaller that comes with the program is not so hot...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I used add or remove in control panel

not enough, norton doesn't like being uninstalled.

Norton came preinstalled and is on my HP installation disk. Do I need to re install everything?

no, just norton from the cd - it usually comes on a separate utilities cd...

Forwindri, a little more info about your hardware might help. First of all, I'm surprised that your cable provider offers DSL. Are you sure you aren't on a cable modem? If you are, you should shut down the computer, unplug the power and the coax cable from the modem, as well as unplugging the power to your router if you have one. Let it all sit for at least one full minute.

Next reconnect the cable to the modem and power up the modem. After it finishes its diagnostic cycle, power up your router (if any) and wait for its diagnostics to finish, then reboot the computer and see if you connect to the net. If you are on DSL, you should try pretty much the same procedure, but it isn't necessary to unplug the phone line to the modem.

Of course, I'm assuming in all this that your ISP ran some sort of tests to be sure that communications with the modem were good, right?

The reply that NooNoo gave in the thread above was the answer. Thanks for the replies.

heheh good ole norton!