Wireless service does not start (error 1608)

Thread: Wireless service does not start (error 1608)

Unhappy Wireless service does not start (error 1608)

Hello.

I'm not sure but I think this started after I got the W32.Beagle worm.

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 with a Broadcom wireless onboard. Since cleaning the worm, my wireless has stopped working and I haven't been able to get it started again since then!

Basically it's the service that doesn't start. Whenever I try to start it I get the following message: "Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on Local Computer. Error 1608. The dependency service or group failed to start."

Regarding this service's dependencies, they are: NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol & Remote Procedure Call (RPC). RPC is already started and I can't find anything on NDIS (it's not really a service).

I have also tried replacing all three wzc* dll files in \system32 (they are related to the Wireless service) with files from another system and also ndisuio in \system32\drivers (that's related with NDIS).

There's absolutely nothing that seems to do the trick and I'm desperate to have my wireless back again!

I have also tried creating a new user account and checking the wireless service but again the same thing. Furthermore, when I try to start my computer in Safe Mode I get a BSOD and a reboot.

I'm pretty sure I have removed all traces of the worm and I'm not sure which files I should check whether or not they are corrupt.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks.
    Phoebus

The bsod is probably the most useful thing. Can you turn off automatic restart and record the bsod?
    What does event viewer have to say?

You could try for the quick option which is to turn off system restore (you did that when you cleaned up after the worm, didn't you?) and then run chkdsk /r /f
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking

Open HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndisuio in Regedit
    Change "Start" from 4 to 2
    Reboot

That fixed it for me.

If that doesn't work, try some of these suggestions (Google-translated from Italian): http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Welcome to Windrivers Doy22. Could you supply a little more information, such as what is the operating system, what were the symptoms that led you to believe you had a problem and what you have done so far to correct your problems.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!