XP USB Drive not detected or installed fix - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: XP USB Drive not detected or installed fix

Hi Noo Noo!

WOW!
    That's amazing - followed your instructions and right clicked on the drive volume representation in DM to get a context menu to change the drive ID# Worked like a charmed and even formated. Thanks so much
    dragon

Anytime.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ola amigos tem como vcs me enviar o driver da webcam kensington #67014 que rode no xp? grato pela atençao. claudio santos

edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

There are no xp drivers for this camera here are the 98 and ME drivers You could try installing them, but I don't think they will work.

You could try this driver which says it will let you use msn messenger - but that's all.

Time to get a new camera Claudio!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

All four usb ports does not read the memorystick

Welcome to Windrivers naobebj

Have you tried the stick on another computer?

I have 2 portable hard drives and a memory stick that no longer work on my computer, although they work on other computers. I have a portable floppy drive that does still work on this computer. I am running Xp sp2 and all devices are USB. I tried your suggestion of editing the registry but in the registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, there is no UpperFilters or LowerFilters entry.

And in the registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, there is an UpperFilters entry but no LowerFilters entry. What do you suggest I do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers k950re

When yuou plug in the hard drives, do you get any reaction from windows at all? Have you looked in disk manager to see if they appear, but don't have drive letters?

It is showing up in disk manager but it has the same drive letter as another drive on our network. I assume that is why it doesn't show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer. But this problem is recent. It didn't do that before. What do I do to correct this now?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

DO NOT attempt to change the system drive letter (can be done but you don't want to).

Just change that drives' letter.

Shouldn't Windows handle this automatically? It used to. As I said, this is a recent problem on my system. What can I do to get the system back to where it handles this automaically?

You probably can't. Something has changed and tracking down what change was especially if you are on a company network is next to impossible.

What was the drive letter that used to be used by the stick and what was the drive letter that is used for the network drive?

God, I'm an idiot. I forgot that I recently added a DVD recorder to my system. That took up the available drive letter that the system used to use for the USB drives. The next several drive letters are used by the network drives. That is why there was a conflict. Evidently, windows doesn't recognize the network drives and just assigns the next drive letter even though it was already used by the network. So changing the drive letter for the removeable drives in disk manager corrected the problem. Sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for all of your help.

No it's about drive priorities... local drives come before network drives.. but you mapped the network drive... the map is a virtual path or a shortcut if you like. As far as windows was concerned, you took away it's next available drive letter by mapping it on the network.

You didn't waste our time. These things happen... how often have you gone out in the car meaning to go one way at a junction and actually gone the other because the other way is the way you usually go?

Thanks, worked great,but try this

Quote Originally Posted by prashantisonline View Post
    Problem:
    Windows XP does not recognize USB Mass Storage Drives
    Device is detected and listed with an exclaimation mark in Device Manager

Solution:
    After spending hours on internet and reading through numerous posts, I found

following solutions which will definately work (as they worked for me):

1. Delete following file: windows\inf\infcache.1

2. Go to windows\inf folder and see if you have read/write permissions for

following files:
    usbstor.inf
    usbstor.pnf
    If not, open security settings for above files and add your username for

read/write access.

3. Open registry editor and:
    Delete following keys:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ <read all keys and delete all those

saying USB Mass Storage Driver>

Add following keys:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb
    Add a new DWoRD Value and name it "DisableSelectiveSuspend". Give it value 1

4. Make sure you have USBSTOR.SYS file in your windows\system32\drivers folder

(It wasn't there in my case). Just Google using Usbstor.sys and you will find

the file to download. Save it at above location.
    I did this on my daughters computer and it worked great.It was my first time playing around in the registry,I built another pc for myself,just for music in the living room,and had the same problem.I copied and pasted the USBSTOR.SYS into the windows/system and the windows/system 32 folder on this pc,then tried my usb drive.IT WORKED.Don`t know why,and i`m not going to question why.I didn`t have to play with the registry or anything else.Maybe i just got lucky,or stumbled onto something that is so much easier.Don`t know,but the next time i build another pc and have the same problem,i`m going to try it again.If it doesn`t work on my next one,i`m definitely going to use your method again.Thanks so much,for the detailed info you gave.