drivers are not installed?

Thread: drivers are not installed?

Question drivers are not installed?

I posted this on the cameras/camcorders thread.. but I think it could also be classified as a USB problem and frankly I'm pretty much desperate for answers on this so I figure it can't hurt to post it twice.

I haven't had any problems connecting my Canon SD600 to my computer for the past eight months or so. Today though, when I connected my camera to my computer through the USB port, a message came up that said that the USB drive is not recognized. When I checked the properties of the "unknown device", it told me that the problem was that there were no drivers installed for this device.
    I don't know much about computers so at first I thought it was related to the "GetProcessImageFileNameW" error message I've been getting when I start my computer, but looking through forums and troubleshooting... this doesn't seem to be related?
    I checked the canon software guide and it said that through Windows XP, I shouldn't need to install any drivers since the camera will use the one that is already in my computer. Nevertheless, I still attempted to uninstall the software (I also tried to follow the directions to uninstall the malfunctioning driver, but since the instructions weren't for my operating system, I couldn't) and then I reinstalled it-- this time using custom installation to choose to install the driver I would need. There was no option for installing a driver in the set up, and the guide said that it would automatically install or find/use the driver it needed upon connecting the camera however, I got the same original error message yet again.
    Does this sound like a problem with my camera? Or am I missing a Windows XP driver (could it have somehow gotten deleted/uninstalled/corrupted since Easter when I last downloaded pictures with no problems?)
    Any suggestions to remedy this would be very helpful!

Yes it does hurt to have the same question twice - you get conflicting answers. I am locking this thread, continue with this thread here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."