USB Keyboard not working

Thread: USB Keyboard not working

USB Keyboard not working

Hi all.

I've just registered to this site to try and solve a problem I am having. I am trying to connect a usb keyboard to my laptop but I'm getting a 'This device cannot start (Code 10)' error message. There is a yellow exclamation mark against the HID Keyboard Device in Device Manager.

The keyboard in question is a Ceratech model no. KYB803-00 but I tried a few other usb keyboards and they don't work either. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D810 running XP (SP2) which is fully up to date.

I have tried the troubleshooter but to no avail. I have also looked at Ceratech's and MS's websites but can't see any relevant drivers. The drivers listed against the device are kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys.

It's not a major issue as I can still use the laptop's keyboard but I would prefer to use a usb keyboard if poss.

Any suggestions welcome before I try re-installing XP.

Thanks.

By fully up to date do you also include the latest BIOS in that update? Also what are the USB settings in the BIOS?

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your laptop (I recommend using intel's drivers over Dells as they are usually newer)

Also I have found Dells are very fussy when it comes to USB keyboards. I have only experienced it on their Desktops, but we have had a few non-dell USB keyboards just not work on the systems.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Thanks for the reply BOB.

I am not too techie but in response to your queries...

By up to date I meant the Windows Updates which I have set to Automatic. I don't know whether that includes updates BIOS updates or not. I certainly haven't updated the BIOS manually (as I wouldn't know how). Can you explain how I would find out what my BIOS USB settings are?

Also, how do I confirm which chipset I have? I have had a look in the Device Manager and under System devices is listed 'Mobile Intel 915GM/PM Express PCI Express Root Port - 2591' and 'Mobile Intel 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 2590'. Can I conclude that I need the drivers for the 'Mobile Intel 915 Express Chipset Family' at Intel's website here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21 ?

Many thanks for your help so far.

The BIOS revision will flash at the Dell Logo screen when you first turn it on. It will start with A then have a number after it like A03. The latest BIOS revision can be found here

http://ftp.us.dell.com/bios/D810_A05.exe

Just download the file and run it and it will reboot your computer and flash the bios.

You can download the latest Intel Chipset Utility from here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Cl...13326&lang=eng

Those are the first two steps I would take into finding a resolution to your problem.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Hi BOB IROC.

I've tried both of those suggestions but with no luck. I thought re-flashing the BIOS had worked (I already had the latest revision A05) as it recognised the keyboard and it worked briefly but then the laptop crashed. Since then it back to how it was before.

I also ran the latest chipset utility but it didn't seem to do anything - do you know if it should have re-booted the machine?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for your help so far.

Code 10 is a resources or power problem.

The first thing I would check is whether the keyboard works on another system. The cabling is very thin inside the outer sleeve and can break without any obvious damage. Don't assume it does, go and check!

If the keyboard does work on another system, then you need to look at a couple of things, the easiest is what devices you don't use. You can then turn them off in the setup/bios to free up resources.

If you have more than one usb port, it may be that one is powered the others are not... try in different ports

It may be that the usb port is allowed to turn off the power to save battery... check that it is set so it can't.

You say the laptop crashed. Please be more detailed - what sort of crash, blue screen? Or powered down unexpectedly or what?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo.

The keyboard works on other systems (it's a work laptop and I've tried it on several colleague's machines), I have also tried several USB keyboards on my machine.

I have tried the keyboard in all of the 4 no. USB slots to no avail and I have checked that all of the slots are working (by plugging my mouse into them).

How do I check if a USB port is allowed to turn power off as I can't see anything in Properties in Device Manager? Incidentally, in Device Manager the USB Root Hub that the keyboard is currently plugged into says that the keyboard requires 100mA and there is 500mA available per port.

When the laptop crashed it was the blue screen saying something about a memory dump and I then had to restart the machine. Sorry to be so vague, if it happens again I'll make note of the details.

I don't know whether any of that helps or not?!

How do I check if a USB port is allowed to turn power off as I can't see anything in Properties in Device Manager?
    That'll be under Power Management then...Anyway, no I've found it I've de-selected it on all USB ports but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Do you have a Human Interface Device loaded for the keyboard?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm not sure what you mean? The keyboard is listed as a HID Keyboard Device, if that answers your question.

Boot to safe mode and uninstall the HID keyboard device and unknown device plus the usb controllers and hubs in device manager. Disconnect the keyboard. Now boot to normal mode. Wait until it gets completely to desk top. (no egg timers). Allow the usb hubs/controllers to reinstall themselves. Reboot and get to desktop again with no egg timers. Now plug in the keyboard and see if it will install properly

I tried the above this morning and thought it had solved the problem as it recognised the keyboard and lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock etc) came on but then I got an error message saying there was an problem during installation and the device may not work properly. Which it doesn't.

Any further suggestions welcomed.

P.S. I don't know whether it is a coincidence but MS Word and Excel have both crashed twice since.

Crashed with what error?

check the registry entry shown in this mskb

edit: this is an interesting read too Have a look in your setupapi log and see if you can find the keyboard entries.
    Last edited by NooNoo; May 24th, 2007 at 05:44 AM.