New wireless network

Thread: New wireless network

New wireless network

I am running windows xp pro and would like to set up a wireless network with two desktop computers and a laptop. The main desktop computer has a network adapter,ASUSTek/Broadcom 440x 10/100, on the board. Do I need to install a wireless adapter in this computer. My internet is through a DSL modem.

Forwindri, for every computer you want to operate wirelessly, you will need a wireless adapter. The one you describe is normally a wired one.

What is the model of your DSL modem?

Usually you replace your DSL modem with a wireless modem/router to supply the internet wirelessly so that you don't have to have a computer powered on and connected to the DSL modem you currently have.

What wireless adapter does the laptop have? What about the other desktop?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

the dsl modem is Westell. the laptop card is Encore IEEE 802.11g, and the other computer has a ZyAIR G-302 802.11g Wireless adapter. I was thinking along the same line you stated but I was not sure.

OK, so you want a wireless modem/router - avoid the netgear D834GT (the wireless is forever dropping out on that one) otherwise netgear stuff is good.

As for which pci card for the desk top, you should have one desktop wired. Changing the config on these causes the wireless connection to drop, and if you can't get the wireless back, you have no way to correct any configuration mistakes. Can you put the wireless router next to one of the desktops so that one machine is wired to the router?

If not, be prepared to temporarily wire a pc to the router occasionally. PCI nics have a vast price range. On the cheapies, I have been using dynamode and they have been very good so far.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Since you already have a DSL modem, I'd add a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 router. Still the best performer around, even when you compare it to all the "N" standard products. I've found that in wireless hardware, price is still a pretty fair indicator of performance.

Do I also have to change my wired adapter?

Not at all. Your current wired adapter will work just fine.