CD-ROM won't read CDs (even fails to read or boot from XP system disk), does read DVD

Thread: CD-ROM won't read CDs (even fails to read or boot from XP system disk), does read DVD

CD-ROM won't read CDs (even fails to read or boot from XP system disk), does read DVD

CD-ROM Drive is an "HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N"
    • Firmware = 1.08
    • Driver = 5.1.2535.0 (Driver Provider is Microsoft)

Computer: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zd7000 (PD295AV#ABA) Rev 1

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

ISSUE:
    Drive doesn't seem to CDs (including the XP system disc that came with the computer) but does recognize DVDs.

SOME HISTORY:
    I first noticed the problem a couple months ago when attempting to burn an audio disc and the computer didn't recognize the blank disk. I don't recall the last time I had actually used the drive prior to noticing the issue, guessing 6+ months. It was about a month ago that I started to dig into it when I went to check out the Ubuntu OS and my computer wouldn't boot from the disc I had burned (burned Ubuntu to CD from another computer since mine wouldn't read the blank disk).

I don't recall what all I've done to try and t-shoot/resolve this issue or the order but will list some info below:
    • Tried uninstalling programs I think might be using the CD drive in some way (such as iTunes)
    • Tried backdating windows to a period a couple months back that would have been prior to me installing new software and drivers (including updating the CD-ROM driver)
    • Attempted to reinstall Windows but then realized the System CD that came from HP with the computer also wasn't being read
    • Tested another disc that came with the computer (the Application and Driver Recovery DVD.... as I'm typing this I just realized this was a DVD not a CD like the XP system disc so I don't actually have a CD that I have verified to work (as I thought I had prior to posting this message).
    • Tested DVD movies in the drive and have had mostly success (I do believe once or twice a movie wasn't read but may have been a fluke)

As noted above, I realized as posting this that I don't actually have a CD that I have verified to work. The two discs I tested that came with the computer (the system disk and the drivers/application disk) weren't both CDs, the one that worked was a DVD. SOOO.... at this point it looks like I'm having a problem with the CD-ROM drive reading CDs but not DVDs. This includes booting from CD which I believe would eliminate any windows specific software issues.

So it seems there is some corruption with the drive that is preventing it from reading CDs but doesn't effect it from reading DVDs. Would this likely be a firmware/driver issue that should be possible to remedy or could there be a hardware issue with the drive? My guess would be any hardware issue would prevent any disc from working, no differentiating between CD and DVD but I'm definitely no expert.

I will see if I can hunt down more discs to test (both DVD and CD) but at this point I don't have one CD I have confirmed to work but have verified DVDs do (both movies and the application/driver recovery DVD that came with the computer).

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to WinDrivers, lookin_for_thoughts.

Unfortunately it seems that the section of your drive's laser that reads/writes CDs may have failed. DVD recorders and combo drives use a dual laser, one laser diode for CD, another for DVD and trying to boot from bootable CD media is the classic test for this, as it eliminates all driver/windows issues from the equation. It is vaguely possible that unusual dirtying of the laser lens could affect CD only, so beyond cleaning the lens, replacement of the drive is likely to be the only solution.

My Cd Rom & Dvd Rw Drive Show Up On My Bios But Not On My Compter Start Menu

Welcome to Windrivers cesitone

There are a few reasons why this can happen.

Assuming it's XP, right click my computer, select manage, from the new window select disk management on the left handside near the bottom. Then on the right, you should be able to see if the cd rom is there....

Also, right click my computer, select properties and then the hardware tab, click the device manager button - does it show up there under cd and dvd drives? If so, does it have a ! next to it? If it does, double click it and see what the error code is. Post the error code here.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."