Monitor Display Problems

Thread: Monitor Display Problems

Monitor Display Problems

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I’ve got a new LCD monitor and the settings are far too bright & cannot simply be adjusted with the usual monitor settings, as even then it’s still too bright and does not look right.

My monitor is a HannsG HU196D and does not need a driver (or so the manual says), Win XP picks it up as a “Plug and Play Monitor” and I have it running at 75 Hertz (tried 60 Hertz, but at 75 it runs more smoother in my opinion). I’ve also got it connected up via a DVI cable only (the VGA cable is not connected).

My graphics/video card is a ATI Radeon x300.

To adjust my settings I went into DISPLAY > SETTINGS > ADVANCED > COLOUR and from there I turned down the Gamma by 0.3 and everything’s prefect.

However when my computer boots up (Win XP Pro), initially the colour/brightness is to the profile I created above, however once Win XP has fully loaded then it reverts back to the default colour setting & I have to physically go through DISPLAY > SETTINGS > ADVANCED > and I then click on the COLOUR tab to bring back my settings.

Here is a screen shot when it's in the default mode:

And below is how I’d like it to stay always, without me having to physically kick start it every time Win XP boots up:

Is there anything I can do that will ensure Win XP uses this profile automatically always, without me having to do it manually?

Thanks in advance

Lots of people complain about the brightness according to the reviews I have read... most say turning the brightness and contrast down works for them. If it is still too bright, I would be concerned that it is actually faulty and running in this state would cause it to burn out.

As for the gamma profile problem, does windows say "saving your settings" when you shut down? If not try tweak 30 here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo

Once the brightness on the monitor goes below about 70, the screen looks murky & not less bright (if that makes sense). Hence me having to play around with the advanced settings in the display.

Windows did not give me a “save your settings” on shut down & I have just tried the tweak you mentioned & still no luck.

XP boots up with the new profile, while the login screen & then the desktop load, then it reverts back to the default. What’s strange is that the COLOR tab then only has to be clicked (nothing has to be selected or applied in there) and the new profile is back!

Do you know anything else that I could try or the reason why this could be happening?

Have you got the latest catalysts? It may be a problem with the software supplied by ATI.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks you NooNoo, I just downloaded the latest catalysts and that has sorted out the problem. Now XP starts up with the new profile and briefly for around 10 seconds (whilst the items in the sys tray are loading) it reverts back to the default profile and then comes back & stays at the new profile.

I have one slight error (maybe it’s not), which has started occurring ever since I connected up my monitor yesterday & that is when ever I shut down I get the following message for a few seconds:

No Signal Input
    Check Video Cable

I also get this same message on starting up Win XP, just prior to the login screen appearing. Again its only visible on the screen for a few seconds.

Could this be due to having only the DVI cable connected? And not using the VGA cable as well?

I don’t have any problems whilst using Windows, its just the message appears on start up & shut down (both times on a black screen).

Thanks for all your help

No, it's due to no signal being fed to the monitor at that time and the monitor is very quick to report it.

Glad the update sorted it.

Thank you for clearing that up for me & once again thanks for all your help in sorting out the colour problems

my pleasure.