Hang up on Adobe Reader

Thread: Hang up on Adobe Reader

Question Hang up on Adobe Reader

I have Adobe Reader 7.1.5 which I recently updated to 7.1.9 after which I found I could not download new PDF files although I can open those already on my computer. I did a system restore back to the last system checkpoint before I installed the Adobe update so I am back to 7.1.5 but it makes no difference. My computer runs runs XP Pro SP2.

The problem is I go to download a PDF file and I get a plain white page which hangs and I have to ctrl alt delete to get rid of it and the Windows reporting tool suggests malware or virus causing an Explorer hangup which is why I am posting my query here. I have run a virus scan and AdAware, any ideas please?
    Last edited by MorseLady; June 3rd, 2007 at 06:36 AM.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Have tried upgrading to Acrobat Reader 8 or completely uninstalling Acrobat reader and reinstalling it?
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Definetly go to add remove programs and remove all acrobat totally and then do a full reboot then install 8
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Yup, 7 is definitely buggy, 8 is much better. Uninstall 7 first, then go to http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ and click on the dark red icon for 8 to the middle right of the screen.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Acrobat 8 is not free like 7 and previous versions!

Quote Originally Posted by MorseLady
    Acrobat 8 is not free like 7 and previous versions!

Acrobat Reader 8 is FREE. I have it installed on all my computers and thousands of computers in my school district and there has never been a charge.

Just go to www.adobe.com and click the link on the main page that says "Get Adobe Reader"

Now if you are talking about Acrobat Standard or Professional those are not free and never have been free.

Reader allows you to view and print PDF files and Standard/Pro allow you to create/modify PDFs
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    Click the Download Acrobat Link its free
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks and am downloading it right now!

Oh dear! It won't instal reckons I have an older version of 8.0 that won't uninstall but it was 7.0.9 i installed that messed things up a few weeks ago. I also tried to instal 7.0.7 but that also says cannot uninstall old version and I desperately need to get two newsletters I subscribe to that are PDF so will have to use the other computer to get them.

Is there anything I can do or does it mean a Windows reinstall? I have tried to uninstall from addand remove programs but does not work.
    Last edited by MorseLady; June 3rd, 2007 at 05:49 PM.

You will have to remove it manually there are instructions for 6.0 here just in case (scroll down for xp)

removal instructions for 7 are a bit more involved but nonetheless should work fine for you.
    Last edited by NooNoo; June 4th, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo. I have looked at the instructions but they are too complicated for me as since my nervous breakdown recently and I am still shaky, I find things hard to comprehend and I am sleep deprived. Come to terms with losing my husband but have got issues with where I live and with being unable to contact my Brother. I have lost nearly all my skills, not just IT but music and other things.

I have my late husband's computer running on my wireless network and it's nearly the same as this one and it hasd a working copy of Adobe Reader so I will use it to download PDF files and I can read those I have already on this computer. I know I should format and reinstall XP as it's been on since I bought the computer two years ago and this computer is in a mess but it was a real struggle doing my husband's computer and remembering how to reinstall Windows and I am scared I might mess it up. Is this the geek who had a crack at a couple of MCP exams and who has done City and Guilds Level three network management on Server 2000, oh dear!

Thanks again and sorry for being so daft.

One step at a time. Quit pressuring yourself. You found a way to make it work for the time being, that's the problem solver in you!

Smile

Thanks Noo I will ease off myself a bit. I have been overdoing things and working in the garden to exhaustion in an effort to forget my loss but I must slow down and quit worrying maybe then my skills will come back to me.

that's the ticket