USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

Thread: USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

Threaded View

USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

I’ve got a HP LaserJet 1100 printer which has a 25 pin Male Parallel connection which used to plug into the parallel port of my old computer.

I now have a Dell E520 & that does not have a parallel port, so I have purchased a USB to 25 Pin DB25 Parallel Printer Cable adapter. It is meant to be plug & play for Win XP, however when I plug it into a USB connection directly on the back of the computer, nothing happens??? And there is no change in device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I have tried the cable plugged in on its own, plugged in with the printer connected & still the same, XP does not pick it up. I’ve tried it on 3 different computers (all running XP, 2 on Pro & 1 on Home) with the same results.

However what I have found is that XP picks it up if I plug the cable into a USB hub (which in turn is connected to the PC) & not directly into the back of the PC, however even then it only picks it up as an ‘Unknown Device’.

Is there anything I can do to change the status of the ‘Unknown Device’ to something that the PC recognizes as a printer? Alternatively is there anything else I can try that should yield some positive results?

Last edited by Vinny; June 10th, 2007 at 09:33 PM.