USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

I’ve got a HP LaserJet 1100 printer which has a 25 pin Male Parallel connection which used to plug into the parallel port of my old computer.

I now have a Dell E520 & that does not have a parallel port, so I have purchased a USB to 25 Pin DB25 Parallel Printer Cable adapter. It is meant to be plug & play for Win XP, however when I plug it into a USB connection directly on the back of the computer, nothing happens??? And there is no change in device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I have tried the cable plugged in on its own, plugged in with the printer connected & still the same, XP does not pick it up. I’ve tried it on 3 different computers (all running XP, 2 on Pro & 1 on Home) with the same results.

However what I have found is that XP picks it up if I plug the cable into a USB hub (which in turn is connected to the PC) & not directly into the back of the PC, however even then it only picks it up as an ‘Unknown Device’.

Is there anything I can do to change the status of the ‘Unknown Device’ to something that the PC recognizes as a printer? Alternatively is there anything else I can try that should yield some positive results?

Last edited by Vinny; June 10th, 2007 at 09:33 PM.

Usb to db25

I haven't connected a usb to db25 converter, but I have installed a usb to db9 serial port adapter. In that case it was necessary to install the included device driver, and after the device driver was installed then to plug in the adapter and allow windows to find and install the adapter. I suspect that it would be necessary for your converter as well.
    Jim Cook

The cable I have is similar to this: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...oducts_id=1282

There is no need to any drivers from Windows 2000 onwards as it should automatically pick it up. The CD that came with the cable only has a driver for Win 98/ME.

As I mentioned a direct connection & my PC does not detect anything, however connected via a USB hub & it is picked up as ‘Unknown Device’.

Since it fails to operate on three different systems, I'd wonder if it isn't simply faulty.

I notice several people report no success getting a similar product to work here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812187001

I did initially think it could be faulty, but then with the PC picking it up via the USB hub (and other users also having similar problems) means that’s there is more of a compatibility issue then the cable being faulty.

I came across that link yesterday, however that cable requires a driver for it to work on XP where as the one I have is meant to be plug & play.

It’s strange that users there are reporting that it works on older PC’s via USB, but not on some newer ones like the Dell Dimension (the same type of PC I have).

Not really sure what else to try now (apart from buy a new printer or maybe try a parallel port card???)

Red face

Your problem is the bi directional flow that hp uses. it wrecks havoc with these cables. I worked with these cables before and if Xp does not recognize the cable like it suppose to, you will need the driver for it also make sure the cable is the only usb device plugged in.
    Last edited by markduren2458; June 11th, 2007 at 10:02 AM.

Or forget the bidirectional bit. I used one on an HP4L and it found it find no problems... took it to an office to a standard HP4 and it couldn't detect the printer. BUT install the printer manually, and print a test page it will find it providing you use the default usb port that xp supplies.. Once installed, I could share it, but it took a while to print.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo, did you connect via USB direct or via a USB hub? As the later is the only way it picks up the cable for me & even then its as an ‘Unknown Device’.

Plugging in the cable to the computer got no reaction for me - so I installed the printer manually and it found it. That is what I was trying to say, don't expect a reaction from the PC. Just install the printer drivers and pick the usb port... or if you already have the printer installed, change the port to the usb port that is already there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Printer is installed, however under ‘Ports’ all I’m seeing is a choice of:

LPT1: Printer Port
    LPT2: Printer Port
    LPT3: Printer Port
    COM1: Serial Port
    COM2: Serial Port
    COM3: Serial Port
    COM4: Serial Port
    COM5: Serial Port
    COM6: Serial Port
    FILE: Print to File

How do I go about adding a USB port? I tried various methods but no luck in getting an option anywhere to add a USB port.

When you add printer, click local printer and uncheck automatically detect printer, click next. Select Create new port, choose local port from the drop down list and click next. In the name, type USB001 and click ok. Now select Hp from the left list and Laserjet 1100(ms) from the right list then follow the wizard through. Do not connect the usb/parallel cable through the hub.

If that won't work, then the cable is faulty. A parallel port might be more useful for you than a cable since you can then use the proper hp drivers and get all the communication and extras that the standard ms drivers don't have.

Hi NooNoo, just tried what you posted above, but still no luck!

Will have to look into adding a parallell port to the PC to resolve the problem I think.

Just a thought, in the cmos do you have the printing attributes set to ecp? Some have epp/ecp as a choice as well.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I think the defective cable looks like a winner. You should try another. If you decide to go with a PCI parallel port card, I REALLY suggest using a card with a Lava chipset on it. These work with pretty much any printer, but some cards won't. Just like the difference between "real modems" which have a controller chip, and "winmodems" which use software to emulate chip function, many parallel port cards lack a physical controller and don't work with many printers and some specific software.

Thanks for everyone’s ideas/suggestions, however I think there seems to be some compatibility issue with these type of cables on a dell dimension PC running Win XP, as I’ve just found out that a friend had also tried this set up (same type of cable – different manufacturer) with no luck.

Did think of getting a parallel port PCI card, but am not sure if my PC has a spare slot & also the toner on my old HP 1100 printer was running low. So have now just decided to get a new Samsung ML2010 Laser (with toner) from Ebuyer for £50 delivered.