USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USB to 25 Pin Parallel Printer Cable Problems with Win XP (HP LaserJet 1100)

If you haven't already ordered it, you may want to check the TCO Total cost of ownership calculations often show up hidden costs - like how much their toner is and how often you are going to have to replace it. Having said that, if you don't do much printing, then one of these a year might prove to be a bargain!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you for that link NooNoo.

The toner that comes with the printer does 1000 pages & my printing is around 50 pages per month on average, so it should last a fair while.

The cost of a replacement toner (does 2,500 pages) is around £30. I have also looked into the toner refills which are around £10, again for 2,500 pages.

Just wish I had bought this printer last week, when I would have saved a further £10 by using goggle checkout.

LOL! Yah that's been quite a boost to the online retailers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem with my laserjet 1100 connecting to my Dell Dimension using a USB to 25 pin parallel printer cable. I am loathe to abandon this printer as it is so useful. I have just been through the whole sequence again step by step and to my delight it recognised the printer and printed a test page .......... but the content was totally garbled - the two are apparently speaking different languages! Any ideas?

Welcome to Windrivers Farthing. You should look at the bios settings for the parallel (printer) port. There are usually 3 types, ECP, EPP, Normal and then there are combinations. Try changing the type reprinting each time to test.

Thanks for your quick reply! Sorry to show my ignorance, but how do I check and change bios settings?

Thanks

That depends on your computer... do you have a compaq, hp, time, gateway or similar? If so what model? Other custom computers (non-branded) you hit the del key just as the computer starts.

I have a Dell Dimension C521

err ok, you may not have that many choices... but to get into set up it's either f2 at start up or the del key. If you just see a dell screen at the start, and f2 or the del key appears to do nothing, press the esc or the tab key to get rid of the dell logo screen... but be quick!