Ipod not being found :S
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ipod not being found :S

Angry Ipod not being found :S

I consider myself quite good at fixing things with computers but this has me stumped! I got a ipod off ebay, it works perfectly with my three housemates computers but not mine. My housemates ipod nano does not work either. The add hardware recognises them as "ipod" but then the wizard opens and it can't find a driver for them. My brother used his nano on my laptop a little while ago without problems, i don't think i have changed anything fundamental either. Also a memory stick which i used on here ages ago from a friend works fine but a memory stick i have never used brings up the same wizard and results in the same failiure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh and i have tried finding drivers on the internet and reinstalling the usb drivers, i also have the newest itunes and i hasten to add the ipod is not visable in disk management.

Welcome to Windrivers leccestar

Did you try the registry fix in the sticky at the top of the usb forum?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeah i tried the sticky and i found that those entries were already deleted...

What service pack do you have? Is this XP?
    Have you installed itunes?
    Is this a branded computer? (hp gateway compaq etc)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It is Windows XP Pro SP2. The newest itunes is installed. It is an Asus W5A laptop which i have not had problems with previously.

Ok have you been to asus support to update your drivers? You should load the chipset drivers shown as INTEL INF Update utility for WinXP. There is also an update for a card reader which may have an effect.

Yeah i keep my laptop uptodate with stuff like that, although i did just do the Intel INF ipdate thing as i couldn't remember if i had before. The card reader one is already updated to the newest version. Its a tricky problem isn't it, i appreciate the help

The usb ports are often set to shut down when idle to save power on laptops and then they don't come out of idleness... in device manager, can you check the power settings for usb?

They all have "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" unchecked, I tried that earlier cos some googling gave me the idea. I hope this is not an impossible problem.

Ok taking a leaf out of someone elses thread earlier today, try removing the laptop battery and disconnecting from the electric over night. I am not sure why this works for some people, but it's worth a shot.

You might try resetting the iPod itself. I had a similar problem with my laptop and my Ipod Mini. That's what it took to fix it.

Thanks guys, i tried the reset with no luck sadly. Tonight i will try the idea about the battery and the power lead and get back to you tomorrow, hopefully with good news!

So the battery is back in and the laptop is behaving a bit differently, loads more background programs loaded than have done recently, its like it has had a good rest now! Sadly the ipod does not work

ok, your last post puzzles me.. more programs than before? Have you done a spyware and virus check?

In the system tray some things like the Asus update, the quicktime launcher didn't always load on every boot but they did this time. I have run 2 virus checks with different programs and run a spyware check with no problems found... Is there any more info i can provide that might help? Im beginning to think i will have to resort to a reinstall :s