Anyone seen this before?

Thread: Anyone seen this before?

Anyone seen this before?

"are you sure you want to delete this icon " on a dell latitude D800. It will also delete your aol email if you login .....

I've reformated and reloaded the computer and before ever going online again it did the are you sure you want to delete this shortcut ... for what ever you just clicked on.... sometimes it's continuous and sometimes it does it ever several minutes.... at first I thought stuck delete key but it's not.... the computer also beeps quite a bit but not constant like a stuck key on boot up.... occasionally it also does it while running but it's mostly when it is running or accessing startup/system files..... Ran a public avcd to detect virus and it beeps alot.... as it scans even. I checked the bios for some virus protection and there is nothing listed.... the only alarm at all is for a deficient power supply..... I turned that off and still get the issue.... I thought overheating but some days it doesn't beep at all and usually not at all when windows is up and running....

I've also pulled the hard drive and used a new unformated hard drive and installed windows on with both the dell disk ( xp pro sp1 ) and with our disks ( xp pro sp2 ) and same results.... Right now it is running on it's original drive with the original disk ( sp1 ) install and default xp desktop with no icons.... so far it works but the last time I did this it worked fine until I started installing everything and once icons where on the desktop it started doing it again... it will also do it to IE or my computer if you have them on the desktop.... usually after you have clicked on them and have finished using them but not always.... this one really has me stumped.... It's got to be internal to the MB or something.... Keyboard bios chip?
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I would reflash the bios shard... I would also take the disks you are using on that machine and check them for viruses/spyware on a well protected machine.

If someone has had this laptop apart, it could be that they didn't put the keyboard connector back in right or it is loose.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If someone has had this laptop apart, it could be that they didn't put the keyboard connector back in right or it is loose.
    Trial and error....

Try to find a function (under BIOS or under OS) to disable laptops keyboard. connect external Keyboard (USB PS2 whatever).

If the problem does not re-occur thhan you mst have something bad in the keyboard (can be stuck key, loose connector, or shorted circuit).

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

After some further testing and alternate os use, it seems the keyboard has an intermittant short of the delete key..... The only way to turn off the keyboard was to unplug it. Though the beeps continue to some extent the delete messages have gone away... I'm now looking for a replacement keyboard....

having said all that.... it just didn't make sense to me that it would work perfectly in linux, somewhat in windows, and hardly at all in dos?!?

If the beeps continue with the keyboard unplugged, the keyboard is only a symptom. Is there any sign of damage to the keyboard port?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I would think a bad keyboard controller. Can't say I know of a freeware diagnostic to test this, but just about any professional diagnostic can do it.

Well the beeping seems to have stopped after the first boot or two... I ran a test on the keyboard bios and that came back as okay....