Can get high speed internet in my area
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can get high speed internet in my area

Can get high speed internet in my area

I can't get high speed internet in my area. I can't get DSL cable modem or roadrunner. Is there any way that i can get high speed internet. Dial up is to to slow. Can I get wireless internet and have high speed? Please let me know how I can get high speed internet.

Sadly there's not much of any way any of us can answer this question for you. We don't know where you live, whether or not any of the more exotic solutions (like satellite or wide-area wireless, for example) are available in your area. You'll have to find local, knowledgeable folks to help you in your search.

What rg says is mostly right. But, if you are in the U.S. or Canada, you can probably get satellite coverage from Hughes Satellite Systems or Wild Blue. Overall, my experience with Hughes is that price, performance, service, and support all reek. Hughes needs a landline to send user requests to the system, so latency is very high.

Wild Blue uses a radio link to send and receive information (the same mini-dish does double duty), and has much less latency in the system. Still more than cable, dsl, or most wireless providers, but not too bad.

how can i find out if i can get satellite or wide area wireless in my area?

Well, pick up a phone book and check the Yellow Pages. You might have a local company that can supply broadband, and national companies like Clearwire and Wild Blue use local dealers. You can also go to the websites of national ISPs to check availability in your area.

by the way i think you are confussing things a bit as well. wireless doesn't mean internet connection.... in most cases when you use wireless to connect to the internet what you are actually doing is connecting to a wireless router that is connected to either cable or dsl.... There is the possibility that you can get a cell phone type connection but again you'd have to talk to local cell service companies to see if they support that....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Yeah, the whole issue can get confusing. Clearwire actually does offers wireless broadband as do a couple of local companies here. The system has a small pan antenna (mounted on a roof or exterior wall) pointed at a transceiver, and the antenna connects to its own transciever with coax. This transceiver is powered over an ethernet connection with the brick located indoors. Coverage is, of course, dependent on having a line of sight to a transceiver and range limitations.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Satellite has come down a good deal, I think wild blue or something like that is the last company I used to set a customer up with, it was about $50 a month.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Yeah, the whole issue can get confusing. Clearwire actually does offers wireless broadband as do a couple of local companies here. The system has a small pan antenna (mounted on a roof or exterior wall) pointed at a transceiver, and the antenna connects to its own transciever with coax. This transceiver is powered over an ethernet connection with the brick located indoors. Coverage is, of course, dependent on having a line of sight to a transceiver and range limitations.
    We have a point to point wireless connection like that here for our backup intenet connection.

I think the wireless broadband systems are decent in terms of price and performance, though with some companies the initial equipment cost can be high without a service contract.

Wild Blue satellite is good as well. I'm not a dealer for it, but I have plenty of customers around here that use it. I'm really in the middle of nowhere up in the Texas Panhandle, and there is quite a market for broadband from customers who can't do DSL, cable, or even wireless. Wild Blue is far better than Hughes crappy satellite service, but right now, it is limited to the 48 contiguous U.S. states.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDaviS
    how can i find out if i can get satellite or wide area wireless in my area?
    I think Radio Shack still signs people up for Hughes Internet. I have the service myself, you can go to hughes.net and call customer service to sign up.

The lowest cost way to sign up is to buy your own equipment (like on ebay) and set it up yourself. Its a little tricky to align the dish, without a meter, but you can do it.

The bad thing about hughes is the FAP (Fair Access Policy). You can only download 375mb (business plan) within a 24 hour period. If you go past that, they will slow you down to below dial up speed for 24 hours.

how can i find out if I can get satellite wild blue in my area?

Like this!

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Well, pick up a phone book and check the Yellow Pages. You might have a local company that can supply broadband, and national companies like Clearwire and Wild Blue use local dealers. You can also go to the websites of national ISPs to check availability in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDaviS
    how can i find out if I can get satellite wild blue in my area?
    http://www.wildblue.com/

You can signup or get information from this page. From my understanding, you can get satellite service anywhere in the USA.

For Hufhes click on this;

http://go.gethughesnet.com/HUGHES/Ro....entity.Entity[OID[91908CBE85AD4C428CCD8D5CDB016B51]]