Dvd rw drive won't burn dvds

Thread: Dvd rw drive won't burn dvds

Hybrid View

Dvd rw drive won't burn dvds

I have a Tsst corp cd/dvdrw Ts-h552b burner running windows xp and it will not write dvds anymore. It will read a dvd-r as a cd in the drive and when i try to burn it show the drive as being a CD drive in My computer. I have tried many differnet things including a firmware update, unistall drivers and nothing works. This problem ocurred after doing a system recovery of windows xp. Under the device manager it keeps showing that my drivers are the windows drivers. If i put in a cd or a commercially recorded dvd, the drive will read it and play. But, i need to be able to burn dvds, not just cds. i know it is a software problem but i can't find the solution. any ideas on what to do?

Try cleaning the filters: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

Failing that, uninstall from Device Manager, shut down immediately, disconnect the dvd wiring, reboot, shutdown, reconnect and reboot.

I tried both things you said to do and i still have the same problem. In My Computer, it shows the drive as being a CD drive when i put a blank DVD-r or Rw disc in the drive. It show that the disc is a Dvd-r, but the drive shows CD. any other suggestions?

Well, you can remove it, pop it in another comp and see what it works like.

I have never heard of a failed DVD laser making the comp think it is only a cd so it sounds like something is awry in your basic drivers.

That being the case, run sfc /scannow.

gl, XP has no native capability to burn a DVD, so I would say you might have a problem with your DVD burning software. Have you tried reinstalling it? What software do you use?

what is sfc /scannow? I have Nero express 6 software, but even that shows the drive as a CD drive in My computer. I seem to think that i was able to burn dvds b4 using windows xp because I don't remember using the Nero software. I'm pretty sure i just used windows. At this point I don't really care what program I use as long as the drive will recognize dvds. I've seen a lot of other people complain of the same problems in other forums but no one seems to have a solution that solves the problem.

Hey guys...I just arrived to this great site...hoping like all hell that you can help! I have the same problem the thread started had...but after trying everything above...no worky. I have a NEC ND-6500A Slim Drive DVD -+RW Drive, (OEM Version, with Firmware V2.81) that no longer wants to burn DVD's, only CD's. It can play DVD's/CD's though. I have tried multiple software and nothing works. I have Nero 7 Ultra installed, and when I try to burn to a DVD, it says that its an illegal disk (I imagine it thinks it's supposed to be a CD, not a DVD). Please help if you can, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Can anyone help??