DVD won't burn dvd's...only CD's - HELP!

Thread: DVD won't burn dvd's...only CD's - HELP!

Exclamation DVD won't burn dvd's...only CD's - HELP!

I"m sorry to start a new thread over this...but I guess no one wants to check the old out that I added to...so....

I tried everything that the other guy was told to do, and nothing works...I have a (Compac Presario Laptop) NEC ND-6500A Slim Drive DVD -+RW Drive, (OEM Version, with Firmware V2.81) that no longer wants to burn DVD's, only CD's. It can play DVD's/CD's though. I have tried multiple software and nothing works. I have Nero 7 Ultra installed, and when I try to burn to a DVD, it says that its an illegal disk (I imagine it thinks it's supposed to be a CD, not a DVD). Please help if you can, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Sorry we missed the post. Sometimes it is best to start a new thread and if there is relevant info in another thread, you can link to it.

Have you tried contacting NEC Sony direct? On this page it give email support contact info.
    http://support.necam.com/Optical/

Have you upgraded the firmware? available here
    http://www.de.nec.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

yes...both. the problem I'm running into is that there isn't a newer firmware for my drive. But what confuses me, is that my firmware is v2.81...the newest one on the net is 2.24...weird. Anyway, yes I contacted NEC, they said the drive is obsolete (just got the damn thing last June) and that there is no support for it. Please let me know what info I can post up here (settings) that might help. Thanks for getting back with me so soon...

wow...am I lost. Okay, I've downloaded the software that those guys did....now they've changed things around in the settings, for example...

"Now that I've replaced RITEKG04 for RITEKF1 everything runs smoothly. " What does this have to do with anything? PLus, this dvd burning problems goes beyond Nero...I've tried a few dvd burning programs, and either it gives an error saying 'bad media' or it will just hang there...be patient...I'm new to this stuff! Thanks for the help so far

What those people are doing is altering their Firmware to accomodate writing speed changes for particulat media (disks) that don't want to be written to.

That is a complex and danger-fraught business unless you have experience and isn't something I can advise you on.

The simple thing to do would be to find media that WILL work.

On the other hand, since your cd/dvd writer is 'obsolete', you may wish to play around BUT remember, you can destroy it!

Those giuys use a DVD identifier software to get the media 'design' write speeds and other data then use the MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool to 'edit' the firmware.

Tricky stuff to me.

that sucks...before it decided to be stupid and not burn anymore, the only disks I could use anyway were Imation. I liked em...but now they don't even work....sucks. Um..if I decided to toss this POS...and since this unit is obsolete...what can I do besides by an external burner?

wow....didn't know it worked that way. I skipped all those other firmware versions because they were a lower version of what I had. So I go out and find the 'newest' version 203e and give that a try...IT WORKED!!! Thanks CCT and Mayet for your help...it's ridiculous that it comes down to something so easy. Here I thought I was going to have to start messin with firmware code...thanks for the info on that as well CCT. With this fixed, that's one less stress I've got here in Afghanistan...ttya'll later