Connecting MACS to a windows domain

Thread: Connecting MACS to a windows domain

Connecting MACS to a windows domain

Hi
    I know this is a windows forum, but was wondering if anyone has experience with adding MACS to a windows domain. We have a windows domain at work and about 20 MACS. These are G4 and G5's. My boss is wanting to add the MACS to the windows domain because we have several GPO's that we want the MACS to also get as the windows machines receive. So if anyone has any info on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

I am working through this same thing with 60 iMacs. I haven't had much time to try in the past few weeks, but I will be back working on that task later this week or next week.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Frankly, I don't think what you want is possible. I don't believe the MAC OS will process GPO objects, Registry settings, logon scripts, and so on. I may be wrong and maybe someone with a Mac knows a way but from what I understand the Mac OS doesn't have the proper logon nor security features to get or understand this data from a network logon even if you could somehow force it to recognize the data.

From what I am told by apple if you throw an XServe into the mix you can do stuff like that. I just haven't gotten that far to test it. I was lucky and got a free XServe with our iMac order. I just have been too busy with other things like running network cable to new construction areas to have time and sit down and mess with the apples. Hopefully next week I can devote some time to that and I will share my findings.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

I looked at the data sheet, it looks like support is limited to "directory services" like LDAP. File and Print sharing is through SMB. I don't see any
    actual AD or GPO support. But if it does work, please do let us know.

My administrator here confirms that he cannot get Macs to use GPOs. You can authenticate, but not login scripts or anything like that. We've been using Macs here for years. I'm the resident Windows user amongst a buncha of Mac lovers...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    My administrator here confirms that he cannot get Macs to use GPOs. You can authenticate, but not login scripts or anything like that. We've been using Macs here for years. I'm the resident Windows user amongst a buncha of Mac lovers...
    From what I was told by Apple is that if you have an XServe that can connect to the domain as a sub-domain controller you can import your users and OU's and set Mac specific policies that can mimic Windows Group Policies. Unfortunately I have not gotten that far yet as more important beginning of the school year stuff is taking precedence. Unfortunately I have not found any straight forward information on how to do this not even from apple.

I did come across these two PDF documents that are probably the right way to start.

http://www.afp548.com/filemgmt_data/files/AD-OD-2.1.pdf

&

http://roscoe.bombich.com/Apple/Leve...XS_1.1.pdf.zip

all of which I found by using this apple page as a start point.
    http://www.apple.com/itpro/articles/adintegration/

Thanks for the links, I'll pass that on an see if he will try that approach.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.