Done everything I can but still no sound .... YET

Thread: Done everything I can but still no sound .... YET

Unhappy Done everything I can but still no sound .... YET

Okay, my sound was working till yesterday. Now nothing works. The volume won't let me move the bar up or down. It's grey and disabled. When I go to see all of volume control there's only 3 columns. Wave, SW Synth and CD player. It doesn't work with headphones either. I only use the speakers on the laptop. I asked my friend for help and he said to download something of realtek 97 something and i did. there were a bunch of choices so i just chose setup. that all went successful and then i restarted the computer. now when i go to volume it says no active mixer devices are available. i don't even know what this stuff means. I've been surfing the net and i saw a buch of smart people talking here so i registered. if you have anything that could be of value to help please respond. i'm so stupid when it comes to technical computers. you may have to tell me in stupid terms.

Go to Start, Run, and type 'services.msc' (no quotes).

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click that and then click Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup type' is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under 'Service status' that 'Start' is selected (it will show 'Started' above the start/stop choices).

okay i went to Windows audio but it's already done exactly the way you said.

In Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Hardware, click on the Realtek High Definition Audio entry and then properties and then Driver and then 'update driver'.

okay... it says "cannot continue the hardware update wizard. the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed"

Be sure your speakers are plugged into the green rear port and the headphones aren't plugged in anywhere and that volume is on and NOT muted.

Right click on the little speaker for the volume control window, click Options and then properties and check that the page you are on for the mixer is the rear OUTPUT in the display.

Then put a check mark in the rear and cd player boxes and click OK.

Then go back there to the Volume Control menu and check that the volume bars all show and are at max.

If they don't/aren't, go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and click on the '+' sign beside Sound Video and game Controllers and click on the High Definition Audio entry and click driver and then click uninstall.

It will take a few seconds to uninstall then reboot.
    Last edited by CCT; August 19th, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

Unhappy

Hi CCT ....
    you posted a comment on my thread saying to look at this one ....

ok so i am having the same problem and i am no good at this sort of stuff
    ok so i do hat you said before The start , Run Thing ...and it had already done what you said ....

so i tried the Control Panel But i mine Dosn't sayhigh deffenition audio
    As i already said Im Not Good At this Sort Of Thing .....I have windows XP home addition if that changes anything ??
    Last edited by woodsi; August 19th, 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: okaii

woodsi - heya -if you can't get direction from what I have posted then helping you is beyond my capability. Read through other threads in this category (Sound card Drivers) OR post in your other thread again asking for more help. The more detail you give the liklier you are to get help (like, model of Medion computer, sound chip identity, etc).

That stuff can be had via Everest:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Pretty much the bottom line is, you have to know 'something' about computers to receive on-line help.

ok what's the green rear port? i have no headphones on. there's nowhere where i can check the volume on the bottom. when i go to volume control, i get the message that no active mixer devices are available. basically there's nowhere i can click for the little speaker. told you i was stupid.

Like my 3 year old grandson says ' That's (stupid) a bad word'.

You need to seek professional help that isn't free and online when you can't use it.

Noone ever said computer users had to be experts!

If you cannot follow basic help guides, then either learn (take courses or study on-line) and help yourself.

If you haven't the time or resources or whatever, then just take it to a shop.

That is, truly, why some people make a living being computer techs and others, like me, just play around on-line.

be well -

thanks anyways