Printer naming conventions

Thread: Printer naming conventions

Printer naming conventions

Hi,
    I'm in charge of restructuring our printer naming conventions. I was wondering what kind of naming conventions different companies use.
    Right now we don't really have a naming convention, but I have thought about this as an example.

Brand Model Name Model Number Location
    XX XX XX XX

So this would use an 8 character naming convention. I'm wondering what others use out there?

Also, we want to put some signs hanging from the ceiling indicating where our printers/copiers/scanners are located. So I've thought about putting this as information

Printer Name
    Printer share name
    IP Address
    Color or Black and White

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Todo; August 22nd, 2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Add additional questions
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Here at the school district I work for we have many different network laser printers and since it is a school with room numbers in most of the area we use the room numbers even if the printer belongs to a specific user/group of users. Since we have 3 High Schools and and Administration building we start with the the Building Initials. For Example: One of our Schools is named Carl Sandburg. So if I had an HP5 laser in room 200 I would name it CS-200-HP5. We do have some areas that do not have a room number and then we would use the department name such as CS-DEANS-HP4000n. Just try to keep it short but name it something that you will know and everybody will know where it is and what model printer it is. So that way if leaves little guessing on what driver it needs or where the printer is if it is not working right.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

When I was working at a company with more than 3 shared printers a number of years back I just went, building number, room number, Manufacturer (as per list I made up as we got different manufacturers machines in ie HP = 1 Lexmark = 2 etc), Series number. As things got more and more complicated I added more information after it to make things easier. I added extra letters after that to distinguish what the printer was capable and setup to do. Like L for laser, I for Ink and P for pen (yeah we had a few plotters). Then I added B for black, C for colour. Then a D if it was a double sided printer. So I'd end up with something like:

12313150IC

Building 1, room 23, manufacturer 1, model 3150, Inkjet, Colour

And yes, I had to specify colour for inkjets as some were never loaded with colour cartridges and were defaulted to greyscale using the black cartridge only.

Doesn't meet with 8 character conventions but I never ran into an issue with it.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.