Weird Boot Up Problem

Thread: Weird Boot Up Problem

Weird Boot Up Problem

Hello all!

Hopefully someone out there can help me out with this one, because this problem has me stumped. I'll start from the beginning.

I was upgrading a computer from ME to XP Pro, and everything went very smoothly. I was able to install all of the patches from the autopatcher team (http://www.autopatcher.com/. Everything continued to work quite smoothly over the next week. I then decided I would put more RAM into the computer as some programs were quite laggy. There was only 192 megs of RAM installed, so I was looking to put in another 128 stick to up it to 256 total. I took apart the casing and installed the 128 stick and turned the computer on, and noticed it was only reading the original 128 memory stick in slot #1, on startup. After some quick thinking I realized that the new memory I installed wasn't the same type as the other, which is the only kind supported by the computer. (The computer only supported PC133 RAM, while the new stick I was trying was newer than that.) I quickly hit the power button to the PC and turned it off, and then took out the new RAM stick to replace it with the old 64 meg one.

Here comes the fun part. Now, after I put everything back together the way it was, the computer just refused to boot up. I have plugged in all the necessary hardware components, and power cords but the screen only remains blank.

I know it is not a power supply issue as I can hear all of the fans running. I tried removing the 64 meg stick of RAM and booting up, but to no avail. I made sure the harddive connection cable was fastened securily to the drive itself and the mother board. I even tried booting up without the harddrive connected to see if I would get an error indicating no harddrive was present, but still, nothing appeared on the screen.

Hopefully someone out there can help me out on this one, because I am stumped. The only possible reason I can think of is the harddrive has finally let go, but even then I would still see some sort of writting when booting up, to say enter the BIOS, correct?

Huge thanks to anyone in advance who can help me out ASAP! -Phrozen

I would try booting with 1 stick of ram,video card cpu and motherboard and DON'T attach anything else see if it will post
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks for the reply!

I tried doing exactly as you said, but again, no results. I even took out both pieces of RAM thinking it was a problem with both of them, but only heard the usual beeping from the PC that no RAM was present. I unhooked essentially everything, and still had nothing appear on the screen.

Could it be possible that the motherboard has finally bit the big one? That wouldn't be totally out of the question I think because this is a fairly old Dell machine that came out when Windows ME came stock on it. But even if that is the case, why would it work fine up until yesterday then just quit like that. After taking a quick look at it, I can't see any of the usual signs of a blown motherboard (blown/buldging capacitors etc.)

Any other suggestions? Thanks again! -Phrozen

Actually, the power supply is still a likely cause. You have to remember that the PSU has 5V and 3.3V circuits as well as the 12V circuit for the system's fans and other motors. Power supply failure isn't always an all or nothing event.

If the system has an AGP video card, be sure it is seated firmly. If the card isn't all the way down in the slot (yeah, even if the retaining screw is in place) the fans on the board my run, but the system will fail to POST without any beep codes.

Check the installation on the RAM. Mis-seated RAM usually generates the same beep codes as failed memory, but it can also just cause the board to fail to POST without beep codes.

Finally, it is common to see dead mainboards with no obvious signs of failure. Yours might have taken a little static zap, or just died after the stress of being turned on and off quickly.

Hey once again!

Thanks for reply! Thanks for the info on the power supply. I checked that out today, and the fan on it still runs correctly and seems to be powering both CD-ROM drives on the computer, but as you said it's not an all or nothing type deal.

I took out the video card and made sure everything was clean and reseated it and made sure it was fastened properly. I also did the same with both sticks of RAM, trying to boot with only one at a time, and both at a time.

I don't think this is a hard drive problem because as I said, the PC will not even post. I will try a spare drive just to be sure of it.

I am coming to the sad realization that perhaps the mother board has finally bit it. I took good steps in making sure no static zaps would occur, so I think (as you said slgrieb) that perhaps it has died under the stress of being turned on and off so quickly. This is quite an old computer, my guess is it was purchased sometime between 99-01?

Is this common to see a computer not even post after a motherboard dies?

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll keep trying for a while longer to see if anything works. If not, time to build a new! -Phrozen

If you can get into Bios and have an ESCD reset there, use it.

If not, power off, unplug, press the power-on button, then open case and remove the cmos battery or use the cmos clear jumpers.

Then replace battery/reset jumpers and close up and try a boot.

Hey CCT,

Thanks for the advice, but once again, no results. Took out the CMOS battery then replaced it, and it still didn't post. I can't even enter the BIOS, so I can't even reset the ESCD there. But thanks again! - Phrozen

When you start up (press power button);

Does the mobo green light come on ?

Does the cpu fan start ?

If not, then either when you 'hit' the power button you hurt its' feelings and broke its' nose, or the cpu is toast, or the psu is toast, or the mobo ios toast.

There is a method for shorting pins on the mobo to test power button worthiness but darned if I have a link or notes.

I'm a little confused by your first post. You said the motherboard supports PC133 but you were using a newer stick. If the wording is the way I'm thinking... it sounds like you tried to install a DDR memory stick into a PC133 slot by your wording...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

To CCT: As far as I can see, the CPU fan does start and function normally. I am unable though to find where the mobo light is, as that is one of the first things I looked for. If it is on, I can't see it. I have a feeling this is a fried mobo I'm dealing with now.

To arch0nmyc0n: Sorry for not being more clear on my first post, but you guessed right on. Stupid me tried to install a DDR stick into one of the RAM slots. Could this lead to some sort of mobo problem?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help! -Phrozen

I doubt you could have shoved a DDR module far enough into the slot to have actually damaged it. If it were, you would most likely just have a slot that wouldn't work with the correct memory.

I'm leaning toward the bad MOBO scenario, but you could try another PSU if you have access to one (just be sure that the Dell in question doesn't use one of their proprietary power supplies first), or there are some other ways to test the power supply if you want to invest $50 or so and the time it takes. Really, I think it is probably better to just write it off. You can get OK CPU/mainboard combos from newegg.com starting around $60 that use DDR, and any of them would be a huge performance jump.

Um, yeah I'd say the motherboard stands a really good chance of being messed up if you forced in a DDR module into a PC133 slot....
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I doubt you could have shoved a DDR module far enough into the slot to have actually damaged it. If it were, you would most likely just have a slot that wouldn't work with the correct memory.
    I've seen it done. Never very pretty afterwards.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the replies. The DDR RAM in question I tried to install actually looked very close to the PC133 RAM that was originally in the computer, and I was actually able to insert it with no hesitation. It only sat somewhat loosely in the slot. The slot itself (and piece of RAM for that matter) wasn't damaged (from what I can see after carefully looking at both). I just was over anxious to get it installed to properly check RAM types.

I think that the mobo has finally quit on me, because even if the RAM slot was damaged, just the slot would probably not function correctly. Although stranger things have happened.

After trying several things, including those listed on here, I think it's time we take ol' yeller out back, so to speak. This was an old computer to begin with that I was trying to update, so I am not crying over this loss. How long do those Dell mobos last anyways? It would have been nice to have, but rather than spend money on trying to fix this, I think I will just build a new one.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions guys! -Phrozen