Just got my new computer up with Vista after undergoing knee replacement, successfully. The new computer is home built, as has the last several I owned. this has a DFI Infinity CFX3200 board with an AMD Athalon 64X2 5000, 4 gig of ram, 2 ATI Radeon x1950 video w 512 Meg each in cross fire config and 1 Terabyte of several Western Digital SATA drives. Things have been going very well, unlike many stories I have heard. I ran headlong into a problem today. In previous versions of Windows one had the option of selecting the out put device for midi signals such as Windows Midi player or any external interface you might have available. After some searching including Microsoft online it appears that there is no choice in Vista and any midi file being played by anything other than a dedicated sequencer such as Cakewalk Sonar 6 (which works fine by the way) will play through the Windows Midi software rather than giving a choice to go to a dedicated sequencer which usually has much better music samples than Windows. Am I missing something, or is there no way to select the midi output in Windows Vista Ultimate?
Jim Cook