Acer Notebook Aspire 5672WLMi - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Acer Notebook Aspire 5672WLMi

Well that text can be sorted out by editing the registry or you can go to kelly's korner and download the various context menu fixes.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This is exactly my problem, except that this person was able to use Norton and I can not...http://www.experts-exchange.com/Viru..._22511678.html
    Yahoo! Rocks...Goodbye Google THE Privacy Pirate!

Get avast from www.avast.com install it and update it offline.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I did get avast and scan my external hard drive, since it still have the bug, but it did not find anything, I did in both normal and safe mode. I don't know what else to do? I can not delete ALL of the autorun.inf from my external hard drive b/c it has a lot of my applications backed up. I can use McAfee enterprise version which found this bug in the first place. It is a hassle to bring my external drive here at work.
    Thanks NooNoo for your help, if you come across a solution for this, please post!

I think the only way you are going to trust that drive is to take it into work...

You can look at the autorun.infs and see what's in them. For example, my XP image has
    [AutoRun]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe,0

My Intel utility
    [autorun]
    ICON=Autorun.exe
    OPEN=Autorun.exe
    XP_APPS_32=XP\apps\x32\iproinst.exe
    XP_APPS_64=XP\apps\x64\iproinst.exe
    VISTA_APPS_32=Vista\apps\v32\iproinst.exe
    VISTA_APPS_64=Vista\apps\v64\iproinst.exe

If those infs are pointing elsewhere (that is not to the exe in the directory tree) then it's not the right one.

Believe it or not I copied all the McAfee files from my work computer and using these files I was able to install the application on my laptop, no tricks at all. I did not think I would be able to install it like that!
    It removed the bug instantly here's the log entry:
    "9/8/2007 12:05:26 AMDeleted NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Autorun.inf Generic!atr (Trojan)"
    But, now it does not allow me to install any applications, everytime I want to install anything even like Adobe's Reader I get an error "not able to write to the registry" something to that effect, I had to disable the scanner to install.
    I have never used McAfee before, btw, I can install anything I like at work without a problem, can some one tell me how do I tweak McAfee to not interfere with any application installations.
    Oh yeah, I have uninstalled Norton, never to use it again, no wonder it's free with anything you buy these days! I will buy McAfee if I have to since it does not cost any more than the Norton.

Umm you don't tweak McAfee, you pinched it from work no doubt without permission. The home version is very different, but you can get it from http://www.mcafee.com/

Well, you have made your point....however, I am more curious to know that WHY I was able install an application by just copying the pre-installed files. Maybe my IT guys dont know what they are doing, which I highly doubt, maybe there is a loophole that they like to know. I will talk to them, but the thing is that human resources in our orgarnization are stretched THIN and noone has time to do anything with perfection, we are always looking for shorcuts, packaged solutions. I spent this weekend understanding this virus and I believe its a very small, pretty much harmless virus that modify svchost and annoy the user with this messed up menu.
    I did configure the McAfee to not to interfere with application installations.
    Thanks for your help.

I don't have McAfee Enterprise, so I don't know how it's set up. It wouldn't surprise me, many exes don't actually need to be installed to work... I have a slew of things I run from a usb drive, including browsers, cd burning software and malware tools.