PSAPI.DLL and BitDefender

Thread: PSAPI.DLL and BitDefender

Right, Bitdefender 2008 edition has caused me so much grief in the past 24 hours..

I ran the upgrade from BD 9 to take me past 10 to the very latest version which I purchased last night. This has caused me no end of problems. Now I get the same error message everyone else gets - except I only have ONE copy of hte original file in my system 32. Now MSN gives the error then bombs and IE7 no longer functions at all. Also BD bombs now when you try to load the gui eventhough the services are working ok.

I ahve obviously contacted them - but Im thinking that something has happened in the uninstall of 9 (as wacky may have done) and install of a new version...

Any good ideas?!

Andy

Welcome to Windrivers Ikashiru

I am splitting this off from the Psapi.dll thread

This is an entirely different cause than the original error.

Please post your service pack level and the actual error message and whether you have an ATI video card.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I have an nvidia geforce card. I am currently running SP2. I am using Firefox to get around the problem, but it's really getting to me!

So what is the EXACT error messages?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok,

1) When I load msn:

It starts, but I get several The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.dll

But it starts,and only bombs out when I try to double click a contact to initiate a conversation. Then I just get a typical ms "this prog has closed, do you want to send an error report" kind of message.

2) When I try do anything that requires a gui from BD: (although services are running and the firewal is up)

a) Get a custom error message, saying do i want to send a msg to bit defender

b). more commonly a typical error message saying do I want to send an error report to ms.

3). When i try to start IE.

Nothing, nada, a moment of cursos hourglass, no HD access - nothing!

Hopefully your cogs are turning allready, mine have had enough!

I checked the MD5 cheksum of the file and it was wrong compared to what other users should have been, so I (scary I know) got a copy from a friend using hte same version, used a swap over utility and it didnt work the first time, but now everything is ok, and everything is working again!!

Thanks for your help so far - if anyone is still having probs with BD update from an earlier version I can help out. Thanks for your help so far mate.