[RESOLVED] new mobo won't take to the HD

Thread: [RESOLVED] new mobo won't take to the HD

Resolved [RESOLVED] new mobo won't take to the HD

My PC basically got hit by lightening. So I had to replace it, with a new mobo, cpu, psu, and I think HD.

mach speed socket 939 mobo
    athlon 64 xp2 2.2gig cpu
    ultra 500watt psu

The issue I'm having is, I installed the new item listed above. When I try to run win xp installation on the old HD it will load all the files but when it goes to the part where it says starting win xp it will freeze then go to a BSOD and give the stop error 0x0000007b inaccessible boot device. What I would like to do is reformat the old drive then run it to see if the drive is bad. I just don't have a floppyboot disk with the neccesary files to do a checkdsk or format. Like a win 95 boot floppy. How do I get the files to make this disk if I don't have win95 OS disk?

So what you are saying is, how do you check whether the hard drive is bad without windows on it? read this thread! The last one I posted you can download a floppy image or a cd image and boot with it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Your new HD has problems installing - cause improper drive jumper and or bios settings or you didn't use HD installation disk to prepair your drive for OS install.

Old HD if your trying XP install over old install use Repair install option.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Its not an new drive, its the HD from the old board.

I found a site that has win95 boot disk zip files. I booted to it but the fdisk only allowed me to use 2.5gb of an 40 gb drive. I setup an primary partition and a extended. I made it active and formatted it. I still get the same results when I run the winxp setup through the boot. It will blue screen before I get to the new install and repair options. I should have a new SATA drive here some time today. We'll see how that works!

I don't get it, why are you using a win95 boot disk?
    Why didn't you check the drive with MHDD?
    Have you changed the IDE cable?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Shouldn't be using a win95 boot disk anywhere near XP
    Use the utility that NooNoo linked to MHDD or determine who made the drive and download their diagnostic software
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

OK.....let me start over.......I have a pc that I had to replace the mobo, cpu and psu. So with all those new items I was using the HD from the old mobo (which was not formatted, and had an existing OS). The the new mobo is not the same manufacturer as the old one. I had an Asus mobo, now I'm using an Mach Speed.

So when I ran the winxp installation disk, it would boot to it, start loading all the files, then when it says starting winxp, the system locks up and blue screens before I get the options to install fresh or use the repair option.

I have used 3 different IDE cables. So thats why I was trying to use the win95 boot disk to wipe the HD.

The manufacturers HD software (seagate) use can only get software that uses windows. I could not use that.

I did use MHDD, there was not formatting utility with it, It would not recognize my drive.

So like I said in my last posting win95 boot disk is all I could use, honestly I think either the HD is junk or I missed a setting in the bios!
    Last edited by rsnovak; September 27th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Um... so you're booting a winxp CD? Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible knowing me)... why don't you just go to the recovery console the CD can provide to run your chkdsk?

Oh... and seagate has DOS and windows stuff for thier drives (and maxtors btw) here:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/

Personal note: if you use seatools on a maxtor hard drive you could encounter an error "Drive is overtemp" or something of that nature. I contacted Seagate about it, it's because most Seagate have a temp meter, but maxtors do not.
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; September 27th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Well I received the new sata drive and it did the same thing. So I unplugged everything from the mobo and only plugged in what I needed, like the vid card, memory, floppy drive, one DVD rom, and the SATA drive. Before I had 2 monitors plugged into the video card, had a USB header plugged in and two rom drives. Not sure which one gave me the conflict but I worked it out! Thanks!

That is one of the reasons why when lightning is involved I suggest replacing everything.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.