issue with asus sk8n and win xp pro w/sp2

Thread: issue with asus sk8n and win xp pro w/sp2

issue with asus sk8n and win xp pro w/sp2

I am trying to install win xp pro w/sp2 on an asus sk8n mb.
    Initial setup with format goes well.
    Install goes thru initial settings for windows.
    I type in my cd key.
    pc reboots, as windows loads, i get a BSOD.

I tried installing win xp home w/sp1 and everything works fine.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

pc specs are as follows:
    MB- ASUS SK8N
    CPU- AMD Anthlon 64 FX-51 2.2GH
    Memory- APACER 2 x 512MB REG ECC PC2700 CL2.5
    Video Card- ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
    Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar 80GB IDE

Welcome to Windrivers Osirus.

Without knowing the details of the bsod, there is little we can do to help since the bsods cover everything from bad drivers to bad hardware and all the software in between...

If I had to guess I would say you have installed XP on a SATA connected drive and you didn't load the SATA drivers by pressing f6 and feeding the floppy with the drivers to the xp install when asked...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Possible Bad CD

Considering I have had a similar incident as of recently might I suggest checking your XP Pro CD for scratches / marks on the surface. I just finally had my 7 year old XP Pro disk fail because of a gouge on it that I had to look closely for. Hopefully nothing a resurfacer won't fix and if you're lucky you can use a little trick I learned which is if they are light scratches you can get by temporarily with wiping a little Vinylex on the readable side (the side that doesn't have the logos) or any similar plastics rejuvinator.

the details of the BSOD are:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF79F7528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

the hard drive is IDE connected to the primary IDE controller. I also disabled the Promise RAID Controller since I am not using it.

As for the CD, I used the same CD on another Intel based PC without issues. I also tried a different cd on this MB with the same result.

I think I will have to go with win xp home edition with this one.

thanks for the suggestions.

OK, is this a new hard drive? Possibly has a boot sector virus or has the ide cable been replaced? More on 0x7B errors
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

XP Home installs, XP Pro has errors - the poster with the scratched cd has the best suggestion.

Can you get hold of another XP Pro CD to test?

Everybody seems to be missing some points..Xp pro did not install properly on this computer, but the SAME cd did install properly on another computer..so it's not a cd problem. The first post says it is an ide drive..so sata drivers are not a problem. However..this is a 64 bit processor.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

True Geoscomp, but athlon 64s are quite happy with 32bit operating systems... The latest version of the bios is 1007. What bios version are you running osirus? (there is a release specifically for fx cpus).

After getting the bsod, can you boot to safe mode?