ipod not detected on pcmcia cardbus

Thread: ipod not detected on pcmcia cardbus

ipod not detected on pcmcia cardbus

Hi there,
    I have a HP pavillion ze4258 laptop with only USB 1.0 So installed an NEC pcmcia 32bit cardbus card that has worked fine for flashdrives and my old creative zen mp3 player. Just upgraded to ipod classic and upon plugging in it detects nothing. Is his due to power needed to the card. I would have thought it should detect but maybe with an error i could work with but nothing?!? could anyone offer advice please? The card is detected under win xp SP2 under device manager with NEC PCI to USB host controller and then the four ports.

cheers
    dave

Welcome to Windrivers daveyonetwoone
    Does the ipod charge when you plug it in?
    Do you have itunes installed?
    If you plug the ipod into a friend's machine who has usb 2.0, is it recognised then?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You will note that some such card (see: http://www.compusb.com/usb20carpcmc.html ) have a built-in power limiter (that one set for 500 mA).

Also, the ipod classic specs ( http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html ) call for Itunes 7.4 .

cheers for the speedy response folks.
    I have no problems connecting to a desktop PC with USB 2.0. It charges and communicates fine. I located the most recent driver I could for the card (its actually an 02Micro oz6912) from running aida32. I assume its badged up for NEC?

Not sure of the power limit on the card, but thought it should detect something if it still can't charge?!?

sorry I'm out of ideas

dave

oh sorry, I have the most recent itunes 7.4 and it does not charge either, there's just nothing.

cheers
    dave

If it doesn't charge, then it's not getting power from the pcmcia card and therefore is not getting a connection.

You will have to get the specs from the pcmcia manufacturer to find out about the power. What did you actually buy?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

emergency averted!! Indeed it was a power issue. I just made up a USB to jack plug lead to power the card from the USB 1.0 port on the back of laptop and problem solved. Detects the ipod, charges and syncs all nice :-) Never realised the prob before as the creative did not charge through USB.

thanks for pointing out the power thing terrier

laters
    dave

my pleasure... I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter won an ipod nano recently....