USB card reader won't install

Thread: USB card reader won't install

Post USB card reader won't install

Hope this is the right board for this post.

I am having a problem getting a USB flash card reader to install. Windows detects PNP device, finds and installs the drivers, then locks at this point with an open install dialog box. Only way to get out is to hit reset button and unplug the USB card reader. In device manager it says: "Windows has encountered a problem installing this device and will never attempt to install it again."

This reader worked before on Win98 and now that I have bought a new drive and did a fresh install of Win98SE it does not. Tried another reader and a flash key with the same results. My USB scanner works by the way.

I installed a 120gb drive and slaved my old 45gb drive. 120 has 4 equal partions and slave has 3 equal partions. In additon to those, I have the following: Internal Zip drive, CDR/RW, internal PCMCIA dual slot drive (have never used both slots at the same time).
    Here's the Explorer breakdown:

C: Windows from 120
    D: Old windows on partion one of slave
    E: partion 2 of master
    F: partion 3 of master
    G: partion 4 of master
    H: partion 2 of slave
    I: partion 3 of slave
    J: Internal zip
    K: CDR/RW
    L: PCMCIA drive

Any input would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Bill

remove the zip drive and try again... zips and usb are often at war!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

duplicate post

Continue here <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004010" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004010</a> please
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."