blank screen and blinking uderscore

Thread: blank screen and blinking uderscore

Unhappy blank screen and blinking uderscore

I need help! I was using the internet to look at some photos from a golf tournament and then my computer froze, so I rebooted. The problem is when I rebooted I had a disc in the drive. When the computer tried to load up I got a blank screen with the following statement "no operating system found" After I researched, I found out how to hit the "esc" button and put all levels to default (bios) Now when I turn on my computer I no longer get the "no operating system found" I just get a blank screen with blinking underscore. when I hit a button it beeps. What should I do. I did not have any problems prior to this. I am not a computer pro nor do I understand all computer language, please respond in very basic terms. Thanks

anyone out there?

Hi coejak, welcome to WinDrivers. Not so many of us active on weekends...

It sounds like your hard drive is no longer set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

It's hard to be specific as different computers use different terminology, but in your BIOS settings there will be a way to select the order of boot devices. The optical drive has probably got set as the first device.

There will be a section in the BIOS settings for boot sequence, find it & make sure the first boot device is the hard drive. Depending on your system, this may show in the list as something like HDD 0, or designated by interface like IDE 1 or SATA 1.

If you now cannot even get back into the BIOS using the esc key, you probably need to reset the BIOS data, either by moving a CLR_CMOS jumper on the motherboard, or by removing the BIOS backup battery for a while. (Either must be done with the system powered fully off ie off at the mains.)

If you don't have any success with this or need more assistance, post back with information describing your system - make and model if it's a brandname, details of motherboard and drive types if it's a generic.

Here are the following drives I have an order Right now it is set up to first read Optical drive, floppy drive, hard disk which has hitachi_dk23fa-40-(pm), and then network. I tried changing the order but nothing happens. I have a sony vaio laptop when it worked it was windows XP

You need to get more info re the model of your Vaio:

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/mod...dl=%20VGN-S70B

While that drive did come in the low-end 'S' series sold in Japan, it is possible it came in others.

Use the guide above to identify it. Then surf the Sony site(s) for troubleshooting tips/faqs and/or provide the info here.

Last edited by CCT; October 21st, 2007 at 06:17 AM.

CCT,
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I looked through the articles and found out all I had to do was hit f10 when the vaio screen came up to recover model to factory settings. I lost previous work but I do not care, I am just glad to be able to use my computer again. Thanks a MILLION