Caught a Theif
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caught a Theif

Caught a Theif

Forgive me as I am just excited over the fact that I was able to catch a student that possibly stole 16 laptops from one of my High Schools.

It all started when I received alerts for iMesh being run on one of our computers connected to the network. At first I thought nothing of it and called over to the school and asked the local tech to ghost the laptop because it looked like the program just may have gotten installed. Well he tells me that the laptop has been missing since last spring when a bunch were stolen. Well obviously it is still on our network somewhere so I decided to play detective. I assigned it a static IP using a DHCP reservation so it would always get the same IP and make it easy for me to know when the laptop was online. When it would come online I would get a response alert and I then would go through my cisco switches searching the mac address tables to trace down what part of the network it was connected on. Since it was on the wireless I could only get what access point it was using so I only got a general area. I did this for a couple days and a pattern was noticed. So with the help of the tech staff in that building we scheduled a couple stake outs and sure enough it connected and they looked and saw a student using a laptop. This made me happy that we were able to catch this kid with a stolen laptop, but what made me even more happy is when the police got there they discovered he had 15 more laptops in his possession. He claims he and his father bought them off ebay so the police are gathering the information so we can cross reference serial numbers, but 16 is the number of laptops that were taken from that school. So hopefully with the help of the police and eBay (if they were infact purchased off there) we can track down the original thief it does not turn out to be this kid himself.

Why I got excited was is because originally my boss felt I was wasting my time on looking for this one laptop and now that it turns out we may be able to recover all 16 of them he is glad that I spent a little time doing what I did.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Hah..always is nice when something turns out like that..I wonder just what the chances are that someone in the same town, going to or hanging around the same school, actually purchased those off of ebay?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Talking

Good job! Glad to see it worked out for you.
    I hope he doesn't really believe such a see through story that he bought them off EBay is going to work. Then again a thief who doesn't take the necessary steps to cover their tracks deserves to be caught for being not only foolish enough to steal but foolish enough to believe he won't get caught.

Score!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile

How does someone spirit away sixteen (count 'em, 16) laptops without someone else seeing them ?

Strange.

Relatively easy CCT. With that many, people assume that you are doing something that you have permission to do. you stick em on a cart and walk em right out the building and no one will give you a second look.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So, it's not the laptops we need to control, it's the carts?

lol

Then people would complain they can't use carts. We could go one step further and just control the people watching... Oh wait they're testing that dynamic in my country I believe they call it the Patriot Act. OK better plan that doesn't harm society just make the laptops uglier and less lucrative to steal. Some suggestions are Epoxy an alarm tag that not only looks gaudy but also trips a sensor that sets off a buzzer in the room that it's going where it shouldn't, An engraved section that says I'm stolen from [name of location} call this number for a reward. I'm sure I can come up with others but that's just the ones I'll say for now.

Thumbs up

BTW Bob - great detective work!

Should have said that first.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Hah..always is nice when something turns out like that..I wonder just what the chances are that someone in the same town, going to or hanging around the same school, actually purchased those off of ebay?
    Thats why I think there is more to the story. This just happened today so I am sure I will get more details once the police investigate. I plan on calling a couple friends that I happen to have on the Police department in the town where it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    How does someone spirit away sixteen (count 'em, 16) laptops without someone else seeing them ?

Strange.?
    Well my school district does not believe in using security cameras and I think that was because of our last superintendent. We got a new superintendent this year and we are in the process of rolling out a 3 year plan to implement campus wide security cameras starting with our computer labs and a couple other key areas. My district has had a high theft problem and we have lost countless computers and sometimes (like in this case) and entire lab or cart of laptops have been stolen. Part of the problem is the fact that teachers, staff, and probably students prop open doors and they stay open all night. We have a magnetic locks on many of our outside doors and because of their lazyness and refusal to carry around their mag key they leave the doors open. So we are putting these mag locks on the labs along with the cameras and they will also have a passcode pad so at a certain time we can lock it down and only assign the people that need afterhours access. Hopefully this move will help cut down or eliminate most of the theft. Some of the theft has been inside jobs from our outsourced maintenance staff and I know of at least 6 people fired and arrested in the past couple years alone. Over the past 5 years I have worked for this school district we have lost over $300,000 in technology equipment alone and I am surprised our insurance company has not dropped us as a result of the claims.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

You also need some kind of alarm to indicate open doors, etc...in this day and age, a school building that doesn't have a lockdown plan seems like an anachronism
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    You also need some kind of alarm to indicate open doors, etc...in this day and age, a school building that doesn't have a lockdown plan seems like an anachronism
    we do not have any audible alarms but the doors are electronically controlled and set on a time schedule to lock and open and allow access to certian people with a programmed Mag key. Of course proping them open defeats that purpose, but there are logs of doors left open on the server that controls them which the Deans office and Building security are responsible for monitoring. The ultimate source of the problem is our Administration Staff (Principals, Superintendents, etc...) have no real concept of management and no one is held accountable for their violations. There seems to be a lot of finger pointing going around and blinders that are put on when bad things happen. Like if they ignore it the problem will go away.

Like I said in a previous post we got a new Superintendent this year and I am already seeing signs of change for the better. Our last one was more worried about his golf game than making our school district safe and efficient. To be completely honest the only reason I think they are adding security cameras to our 3 high schools is because last spring one of our Staff members was sexually assaulted by someone that got into the building after hours and now she is sueing the District for not doing everything in their power to make the school safe for everyone.

Piece of advice Bob - play it cool and quiet with your involvement if you can. Make sure EVERYONE in the know shuts up.

DO NOT call your buddies in the Force.

Let it die down.

You keep being Rambo and you WILL raise your risk level. That district sounds like it has problems and they will NOT be gone soon.

Or not.

Ooooh here is a fun idea! I forgot the name of the movie but make the laptops explode if they go outside of a certain radius (idea stolen from a movie that had exploding collars on the inmates). Hmmm could cover them in bacon grease and once they get outside ravenous guard dogs would pick up the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    Piece of advice Bob - play it cool and quiet with your involvement if you can. Make sure EVERYONE in the know shuts up.

DO NOT call your buddies in the Force.

Let it die down.

You keep being Rambo and you WILL raise your risk level. That district sounds like it has problems and they will NOT be gone soon.

Or not.

You're probably right, I am just curious to see if the other laptops they have all belonged to us. I was going to wait and see what information the school gives up to me. I just had a conference call with the Head Dean and the Security Officer because they wanted a statement from me on how this was discovered and told me that I may be called into the police department later today or tomorrow.