Which one is better Windows 98SE are Windows ME - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which one is better Windows 98SE are Windows ME

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Ram/memory built into the processor on a 700 mhz PIII
    I would be amazed if thats true
    Without the model its difficult ot research but you say it has 128 megs of ram so its likely 1 stick
    It's a Compaq Armada 110. I took it apart just now to find out that there is no memory stick (PC 100) anywhere. I saw that there is a memory expansion pack what is that

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Your lappy comes w/64mb onboard upgradeable to 576mb.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c01125231.pdf
    Mine has 128mb. But how do you upgrade it where do you put the extra memory theres no space are slot

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    Not to push you away from either of these Microsoft OS's. You should probably be aware that neither is supported by Microsoft, most importantly though, neither is supported by windows update. This means that your going to be stuck with a non-updated system.

Windows 2000/XP would run on this system if you kept it bear minimum, I have a p3-733 with 384 megs of ram, it runs XP, but i assure you i don't want to do anything else with it other then it's dedicated task (tv-tuner).

If your looking for basic word processing, browsing the internet and a few other basic usages, you may want to consider going "alternative", AKA, Linux.
    Given the suggestion of Linux I've been trying out The KDE version of Ubuntu AKA KUbuntu. It's quite a nice OS and not too hard to work with. If you prefer I believe regular Ubuntu uses less hard drive space and if you really want to save hard drive space you can use XUbuntu. On top of that the WINE is very well supported for these OS releases. WINE if you are not aware is a windows emulator. Be aware it doesn't work with all programs but given a little time and effort you can get a percentage to work. If anything it's a fun learning experience.

If I do windows 2000 Should I update all the service pack 1-4 plus the updates

Yes it would be a very good idea to do so this will protect against most exploits on the OS and also some programs won't work unless you have service packs 2-4 on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by spawn1980
    If I do windows 2000 Should I update all the service pack 1-4 plus the updates
    You don't need to apply each SP seperately; SP4 is cumulative so you can install that from go.

In addition to SP4, the udates issued subsequently up to April 30th 2005 are combined into the Update Rollup 1 linked from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.mspx

This simplifies updating to this date. All the updates released later will need to be installed from Windows update.

You know the funny thing is everybody dump on Windows ME but thats the only OS that did'nt give me ANY problem with updates are drivers.
    1.Win 98SE Could not install my modem and Lan pc Card but when it did Istill could not get online.
    2.Win 2000 Pro use to much resource and that made my Com 1 and infrared sensor not work and on top of that there was no update for the modem which made dialup a no go.
    3.Win ME Worked perfectly even if there is no more updates but once I formated the HD and installed 98SE and went straight to Win ME without a pause all the drivers that 98 could do Win ME took care of all that.

So Win ME is the winner on the Second labtop Compaq Armada 1700

But on the First Labtop I want to change the HD and Add more Memory so i'm going to wait on that one but thanks to EVERYONE who tried to help me. :^}

I've never found any reason to have a bad opinion of WinME. A lot of people have used it without drama. Enhancements like native USB drive support are worthwhile over 98. It may be less stable due to more features being grafted onto the same codebase, but I've seen some folk vehemently declare 98 to be hopelessly unstable...

I think ME is a victim of some people's bad experiences, and the disappointment of having to wait until XP for the unified Windows.

Smile ME? Sure..And dual boot with VISTA!

Just kidding!
    Don't bother with ME or 98.
    Get whatever you need to bring the BX board to 500 MEG of memory.
    320 or 128 or whatever aint gonna cut it for much of anything.
    You probably have 2 mem slots, 1 with a 256 megger and the other with a 64 meg stick and that's probably why you're showing 320.
    You can get by with that for sure, but if you can find another 256 stick cheap,
    get it (You'll have to hunt long and hard for a deal).

Use windows 2K pro
    and since you have a BX board, you can probably Overclock that 700 to 850.

Throw the other machine away.

OOPS... just re-read your description The P2 has the 320 Meg and the Cely has the 128. The P2 probably uses slower RAM and the cely probably uses PC100 or PC133, So you can't mix 'em.

Well either dump the 128 stick for 2 256 Meg sticks or buy another 128 stick and live with 256 Meg Total.......(500 total will give quite a difference)

Of course you might have 2 64meg sticks on it which means you have to dump them both (128 won't run Mcaffee or ANY current automatic virus protection without making you crawl)

Don't forget though, the sticks for a laptop are a DIFFERENT SIZE than the sticks for a desktop motherboard even though they're the same speed...
    that's why laptop sticks are more pricy...even PC100 or 133's.

Again use the BX machine, WIN 2k, up the mem to 500 meg, and overclock the cely to 800-850 (you'll probably have to increase the CPU voltage a tad)(USE one of the recently offered Laptop coolers to prevent overheating).

Get someone to show you how to Oclock--- you have to adjust your BIOS settings and that's not something you should attempt without guidance.

You should have a decent machine when your finished..
    Last edited by WTJ; October 26th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    You don't have any overclocking abilities in most lappys "esp" any that old.
    and stick w/Win Me ... dosesn't use as much resources.
    I JUST heard that ME is Vulnerable and its not good to buy anything online.. Is that true even if I have a Antivirus and Firewall..

I have another question i'm doing some shopping to upgrade the compaq armada 110 I want to add a 80gb HD and one 512md memory but my question is will I be able to use a 8X Dual internal DVD Burner.
    I bought a another compaq armada 110 ($26.00)for parts this one is a P3 so I might switch motherboards for a fast Processor. Sorry kind of went off topic. This is want I need to know.

1. will I be able to use a 8X Dual internal DVD Burner
    2. Is it possible to use 2 internal HD

This is my first Labtop I want to hook it up..

And my second labtop (compaq armada 1750) I gave that to my girl for school work.

compaq armada 110

Processor
    INTEL Celeron 700

Chipset
    Intel 440BX chipset, PCI bus Version 2.1
    Display
    Nice 12.3" TFT Active Matrix

Hard Drive
    10GB

Floppy Disk Drive
    1.44MB Included

Memory
    128MB SDRAM

Video Chipset
    ATI Rage LT Pro 3D 2X AGP Video Controller

VIDEORAM
    8MB
    cd-ROM Drive
    CD-ROM Drive Included (Built-in!!)

Audio
    Crystal 4622 with Built-In Speakers and manual volume control and cd function controls (Stereo Sound!!)

Modem

ethernet/cable
    Built- In 56k Fax/Modem (get online your favorite service provider.

POINTING device
    TouchPad (Or add a standard PS/2 mouse)

Battery
    Li-Ion (Included, charges 100, no guarantee on length of charge.

Ports
    Enhanced Parallel Port, SVGA, Pointer -Keyboard -Keypad, Serial, Infrared, 2 USB (to hook up the latest printers, digital cameras and accessories!!), Microphone-In Jack; Headphones/Speakers Jack, Audio-in Jack, Video-in Jack, Video-out Jack, Audio-out Jack, Dolby Digital-out Jack.

PCMCIA slots
    (Supports type I or type II cards or 1 type III card

Please Reply Sooooon

Does anybody know if a 2.5 80gb IDE ATA HD will work in a Compaq Armada 110. Please Reply Soon Auction is Almost Over 4Hrs Left...

[QUOTE=OMGmissinglink]
    Quote Originally Posted by spawn1980
    Does anybody know if a 2.5 80gb IDE ATA HD will work in a Compaq Armada 110. Please Reply Soon Auction is Almost Over 4Hrs Left...[/QUOT]

Aren't you pushing your luck.
    Nice Reply

I'm sure this is seriously late, but the 80 GB drive would (would have?) work, spawn. OMG is a bit like genital herpes. We can go months without an outbreak, but then... suddenly... it strikes.

As I recall, one of the moderators threatened to ban OMG some months ago, but ultimately decided that hearty laughter has enormous therapeutic benefits.