TCP connection limit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TCP connection limit

TCP connection limit

Few years ago I bought a client of mine XP home machine to act as a server. I didn't knew then that there is a 5 users limitation on this OS, So I've installed winxp pro and problem was solved.
    I installed a new database application on all of this client's clients (about 10 computers), And replaced one of his computers, So got the message that I've reached the maximum limit of connection to the server....
    My question is does the tcp/ip patch that let you change maximun tcp/ip connection from 10 to 50 will let more users connect to this computer ? If yes that is great and shame on me I didn't used it on the HOME OS...

try THIS at your own risk.

Thanks Geek, That is the patch I was talking about. Is there any other connection limitation that I should be aware of ?

I apllied the TCP patch, But I still get error running programs from the server from time to time when I reboot a computer on this 10 computers + winxp pro server network.
    I've also installed a scanner to one of the station so the scanned files can be applied to a database that runs on the server, And one of the scanned document got damaged, And I am concern regarding network stability as a whole.
    How do you suggest I can test network stability ?

It seems that scanner file got damaged due to improper ending of scanning procedure, And not because network stability....1 thing less to worry about...

That article seems to deal with this issue :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328459

The question is do I use one of the network computers to act as a print server instead of the server, Or do I need to configure accounts for every user on the win xp pro "server"...

I would install either a networkable printer or a dedicated print server and that way you will not have the printer calls adding sessions to your "server"
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo. I don't think the client would want to invest in a print server. He have a Xerox laser printer. Can I buy a simple print server (like a small hub), And make it work like a real network printer as long they use it to print simple documents ?

Wireless or wired? USB or Parallel? this will give you an idea about what's available
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It's a Wired lpt/usb printer Xerox phaser 3450 as I recall, So I guess it's one of the cheap solutions.
    Thank you (Again and again) Noo.

Explain it to him this way - less than $100 USD or keep calling you out to bill him each time

Well...He won't call me for that, But he will need to restart his server every now and then....
    I also started to give remote access services lately through LOGMEIN and I LOVE IT.
    Here in israel the basic print servers cost around 60-70$, And I told the client that the other solution is a 1500$ for WIndows 2003 server + license for 10 clients, So I guess it'll motivate him for the cheaper solution.

That or a linux box...

LOL....Tried to play with Ubuntu last week....Too complicated for my standards....Will stick to GUI OS.....:O)

Just so you know Hiphoper Ubuntu does have a GUI that you can work with. Takes a little practice but it's not too complex to figure out how to run features.