Just a notion

Thread: Just a notion

Just a notion

I've been toying with having my own web comic. Mostly I have some decent material as far as dialogue and stories. I just suck at art. Well I can do an ok job with making things in photoshop I just can't draw with my hands for my life. So really what I am asking is. Anyone know of what programs I should use to even host a site for this kind of venture? Also anyone know how a main page with multiple linked pages goes as far as web rates? Do I just pay for a domain or do I have to pay for each additional web page I add to my domain? Doubt anyone here hosts a webcomic but if you do any input would be nice.

I can't even draw flies, much less a straight line, so I cannot help. However, I collected comics for many years, and would be interested in seeing your finished product. Good luck in your venture!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Talking

Nicto, having had aspirations of webcomicdom in the past, I have looked into the subject a bit. There is an upcoming book, “How to Make Web Comics" by 4 "successful" web comic artists, which promises to be very interesting. They will cover not only the artistic/creative side, but the business side of things, as well. They say it will be out in January of 2008, published by Image. There are also a number of sites where advice can be found, but Kurtz, Kellet and company are actually making a living at it.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Thanks for the input you two. Pretty much my lifes experiences or at least how I view/tell them come out funny to people. Most say I should write a book but sadly I have a strange memory. I only remember things in small stories at a time and weird things make me remember stories to begin with. I will definately let you know what I get started. Luckily I get to have a free domain at the office I work at and the hosting is free but I am scared to know if I have to pay anything extra to the domain registrars if I have additional pages. Also if anyone knows a handy artist lemme know or I will be forced to may my own gaudy imagery via my lacking skills in manipulating photoshop.

Additional pages are up to you to create. You may have to pay for extra bandwidth - depending on how many people want to see your website.

The other restriction is how much space you have on your host to store the web pages you create.

Domain registrars have nothing to do with the content - they register the domain name and its owner, that's all.

The host is nothing more than a pc set up to be a webserver and has some sort of security to allow you to login and view/manipulate your files. Most host have a slew of tools you can use online which you access from some sort of control panel or page.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    I think the User Friendly guy has a book called 'Content For Nothing, Clicks For Free' that might help you out. Just don't become one of those webcomics that says you post a new one on a certain day/time and then having nothing appear for ages. If you update sporadically, say so.

OK, rant off.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

So.... what if I claim to post sporadically and in reality post a comic on a regular basis say... every day at 12:27 PM?

Then those that read your site sporadically will have a lot to catch up....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I hope it wouldn't be too sporadical, I'm a bit spoconservative...

I don't think Wayward Clam has Unit 23 hosted anywhere now, that would have been worth a look to see the effect of a web comic using simple linear graphics.

Hmm, Geona shows a cache link, but it doesn't seem to do anything...