Help anti virus blocking my using of screen saver
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help anti virus blocking my using of screen saver

Smile Help anti virus blocking my using of screen saver

Please help. My Norton Anti Virus is blocking me to use of my screen saver which i never had a problem with this before. It just started yesterday when i ran a live update. Now im getting a message everytime i try to set up back my screen savers "My Picture Slide Show". The message was "A recent attempt to attack your computer has been block". I dont know what to do. I tried everything with Norton to no avail. I dont want to burn my screen from not being able to use a screen saver.

Thanks a lot,
    Wheng

Welcome to Windrivers wheng

Have you run a full scan with norton? You might find that you have a problem in your picture folder which is causing this... for example this virus modifies screen savers
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up Re: Help anti virus blocking my using of screen saver

Hi NooNoo, thanks for replying. Yes, i do and i did ran a full scan of my computer. I never do a quick scan. As a matter of fact, i run a full scan of my computer everyday.

But anyway, it seems that i fixed (i hope) my problem. My screen saver is working again. But, thank you so much for trying to help. I may need it again in the future. Keep up the good advice for all of us that dont know much on computer.

Thanks a lot,
    Wheng

That's good... what did you do to fix it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile Uninstall Norton anti virus

Hi. Well, all i did was i completely uninstall Norton anti virus from my computer, re-install it and started all over again like full scan and live update.

But anyway, ive got another question for you. What is a safe mode? How and when do you use safe mode?

Thanks again,
    Wheng

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode of windows. There are two ways to access it -
    1) Hit the f8 key a couple of times before the windows splash screen is shown when starting your computer
    2) Start, run, type in msconfig. In the boot.ini tab, check the /safeboot box. Windows will then boot to safe mode every time until you uncheck the box.

Ok thanks. It seems that i would fix my issues and then another one would come. I am having another problem if you could help me please. My issue is when i am online a message box would pop up saying Internet Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. I would then click the Send Error Report and all my programs on the web will automatically close. And after 30 minutes i would get the same message again and go over this again and again. Same message, same error. What do you think its causing it?

Please help if you could.

Thanks alot,
    Wheng

Could be that you installation is corrupt or has a spyware infestation. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with tools to help you clean it up.

Thanks. Ive finally got it fix. I just change my internet browser. I seemed to be having a problem with the Internet Explorer.

Wheng

Sounds like you have spyware that Norton can't deal with or one of the plugins is corrupt. Do you want to fix it?

What is plug ins? And how can I fix it?

Plugins are small programs that plug into larger ones... for example, flash is a plugin for browsers.

In internet explorer 7, you can access the plugins by click on tools, manage addons, enable or disable addons. There are various types, you can select them from the drop down list. You should disable addons/plugins/activex controls that you don't recognise. When you have done that, try using IE7, if it works ok, it means one of the addins you disabled was the cause.

You should also download spybot 1.5 and update it and then immunise your system, followed by running a full scan and fixing any problems it finds.

Yes i found the add ons that arent familiar to me. And they are the names that the IE 7 error report was sending me. I disabled them. Now i seem to be staying on the line with out that IE error report poping on again every 30 mins. and then my program would crash.

Do I still need to download spybot 1.5? Where can i get it or do i need to purchase it?

Thank you so much for your help. I think it worked again!!!

No, you don't need to, but it would be a good idea.

Glad it's sorted out for you.

Ok. My subscription from my Norton A/V would expire coming up soon. Which do you think is better Spybot or what i currently have now?

Thank you so very much. You've been really alot of help for a computer "dummy" like me.