Remember remember the 5th of November

Thread: Remember remember the 5th of November

Remember remember the 5th of November

Remember remember the Fifth of November,
    The gunpowder treason and plot,
    I know of no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot.

Oh, I guess also be sure to watch V just because it is set on this day.

The British have just sent the weekend contributing to the climate change problem by launching vast quantities of chemical laced gunpowder into the air and allowing them to explode in various pretty and noisy ways.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I think that a lot of us in the UK would be quite happy to forget Guido Fawkes & Co except for perhaps we would want them to succeed today if only to get rid of this corrupt government.

I wonder how many more people will be maimed or killed tonight. How many properties be be subject to arson.

I am surprised this has not been banned - the nanny state has banned everything else.
    The lunatics are running the Country

It's not all the government, some of it is the eu... but this discussion is for the politicos forum, not this one.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo
    The maimed people dont understand the politics.
    The lunatics are running the Country

It depends on how they got maimed... if they were in a building when an arsonist set fire, that is nasty, but not the government's fault, nor is there anyway to prevent the actions of an arsonist.

If they were maimed because they were handling fireworks badly, that was their choice. If the firework was faulty and somehow exploded, hurting people, that is a risk that every firework professional takes every day. You cannot legislate against that either.

Well, I am still going to watch the movie tonight.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Figures I spark a political debate. So yeah movies sounds good. I got my copy back just for today. So.... who likes cheese?

Okay, I figured out what this thread is about. You Brits need to be more clear for us self-centered Americans who know nothing about other country's traditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot

The Gunpowder Plot of 1605, or the Powder Treason, as it was known at the time,[1] was a failed attempt by a group of provincial English Catholics to kill King James I of England and VI of Scotland, his family, and most of the Protestant aristocracy in a single attack by blowing up the Houses of Parliament during the State Opening on 5 November 1605. The conspirators had also planned to abduct the royal children, not present in Parliament, and incite a revolt in the Midlands.

The Gunpowder Plot was one of many unsuccessful assassination attempts against James I, and followed the Main Plot and Bye Plot of 1603. Some popular historians have put forward a debate about government involvement in the plot.[2]

On 5 November each year, people in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries and regions[3] celebrate the failure (or among some groups, the attempt) of the plot on what is known as Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night, Fireworks Night, Cracker Night or Plot Night; although the political meaning of the festival has grown to be very much secondary today.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones