Need a Professional IT Opinion

Thread: Need a Professional IT Opinion

Hybrid View

I have been a big fan of the Kaspersky suite.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Personally, I don't find the new interface for NOD32 annoying. The menu structure is laid out in a logical tree plan, and toggling into advanced mode presents a very comprehensive view of options. Overall, I'd say that it less confusing for the non-technical user, but offers improved configuration options for professionals. I also don't see that it has lost any performance at all. Of course, I've only been running it since Monday on 3 computers, and I haven't explored the Security Suite at all, or tested the Enterprise version yet.

Avast is a very good product. Kaspersky also gets very high marks for performance, but everyone I know who has used it has nasty things to say about the configuration process. It also appears to be a relatively heavy performance hit.

My recommendation would be 1. Re-examine NOD32 3.0, 2. If your office is running a current Windows Server O.S., re-consider Symantec (yes, I hate them too, but...), 3. Take a look at Avast! Pro, 4. Examine Kaspersky and alternative AV products such as Sophos and Norman with a particular emphasis on ease of configuration.

Frankly, I just wouldn't recommend any of Grisoft's offerings or BitDefender, TrendMicro, or McAfee.

Thumbs up

I thank you all for your suggestions, I'm curious though. Is there a way to do a trial of the pay version of AVAST or is it the same as the free just more thorough? Also I'm needing a network administration console with the software. I'm curious slgrieb you seem to have a lot of security input as far as removal and opinions on software in relation to it. I'm wondering if I could pick your brain on a few things some time and learn from you about how to further my skills in those respects. My final question is why reconsider Symantec for the windows server? I know we're running some virtual servers too but unsure if those are hosted by linux or MS boxes.